Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
remington hevi shot and actually the upland loads are just as effective without the harsh recoil if you can find them 23/4 are just as effective with briley hevi shot chokes size 6 makes a nice pattern but 4's are cleaner kills

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well fedaral we used last year and shot a duck about 9 times until it died i mean we shot and it would go down and than i would get back up and fly and we bought another box and they did the same thing and remington it sees like evry time i buy a box the y have a bad primer but wendchester i know it will always get the job done.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If I am shooting decoyed ducks at about 25 yards or under my first shot is always 6, then 4, than 2. anything over 25 yards and I am usually shooting 2s and 3s.

Thats how I shoot, i hate having cripples. I need to just learn to hit em in the beak more often. :yes:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
4s are too small for mallards, I found that one out. I jumped a pond and the ducks had no clue I was there and I shot 3 times and didn't get a duck and they were 20yds. away :pissed: From that I shoot either 3s or 2s. I like 2s better :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My cousin and I wrecked some mallards that were decoying between 20-25 yards with briley goose chokes and 4s and 6s. If you miss a duck at 20 yards you simply missed. I don't care if your shooting BBBs, BB, 1s,2s,3s,4s,6s etc.... Jump shooting I would definately use 2s or 1s though. If they are in close, 4s and 6s will do the job.

Mike

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I shoot 3" 6s at decoying ducks and when jumping ponds. The pattern is so dense they can't escape. Every bird I shoot with 6s hits the water snpw dead. I don't shoot any shot much bigger than that at ducks. If they ain't within 25 yards and decoying I don't shoot at them anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.