Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good Autoloader to kill fowl with. I am open to all options. I like the way the SBE II feels but I have heard alot of complaints about the safety. The X2 is also nice. Extrema & 391 also very nice. If anybody has any imput I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the one that fits you the best is the one you need. Go to a gun shop and put different ones to your shoulder. Swing with it and through it up as if to shoot quick. If it don't feel comfortable to you than don't get it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have a Xtrema, and love it. It fits me rather well. Wish I wouldn't have got a gun with 3.5 in capabilities. It would have been cheaper to get one (autoloader) that only shoots 3 in. I have rarely shot a 3.5 in shell at anything. I bet I can count the number of 3.5 in shells sot through my Xtrema on one hand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi ALL

If you are looking used --I would look for a Winchester 1400 semi auto.

Been using one for 40 yrs and have never had a bit of trouble--even using my own reloads. Doesn't cost a fortune either!

No need to use 3 or 31/2 inch shells--just bring them closer and shoot carefully.Have never used anything but 2 3/4 in shells and been very successful.3 1/2 in lead to skybusting attempts by most hunters--in reality the range is no further--denser pattern yes!With steel you must aim more carefully as the pattern is so tight and the string is so short. 1 0z of shot is plenty and move it out at 1500 plus fps.

Good hunting!

TOM

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been using a Rem 100 12 ga 2 3/4 for as long as I can remember. It was my grandfathers, It jammed one time and that was because I laid the receiver into the mud by accident. I pulled the dirt from it and shot the rest of the day. Unbeatable autoloader. I can outshoot the guys with 3 and 3.5". Make the shots count

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the SBE II and although the safety is a little stiiff it's not a big deal. Actually I kind of like the fact that I would probably never accidently move it off safety because off the stiffness. It's a nice piece of machinery but so is my old A-5 Browning. I looked at alot of guns before buying the SBE II from Stoegers to Benelli,and price to a certain extent was not an issue. Just buy what feels good and you can afford. Nothing worse than a gun that doesn't fit you and worse yet that you paid more for it than you should have. I could have just bought the M2 but wanted the added fire power to keep up with the Brother in law. Could't let him have a bigger gun than me. (Macho thing) plus the money had already been allocated to me from the war dept.

·
Registered
696 Posts
well, you might get a lot of answers out of this one, my personal opinion would either be the remington 1100 or the super black eagle 1 or 2, never shot any of them at ducks, im going from what ive been told, i do use the 1100 for everything but ducks and larger game, and i love it, its my competition/field gun and never has skipped a beat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here are some models that I like and have experince with.

Beretta's Pintail/ES100, AL391 Urika, 390, 3901, A391 Xtrema

Benelli's SBE, SBEII, M1, M2

Browning's Gold's, Auto 5

Franchi's 612, 712, 912

Stoeger 2000

Weatherby SAS

Whinchester SX2's

Any of these models will make a fine waterfowl gun. Gun choice is a subjective thing. Whats "best" for me, may not work for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
worc said, "Gun choice is a subjective thing. Whats "best" for me, may not work for you."

Nothing truer has ever been said. The only way you are going to kill ducks is to have a gun that fits you and that you are confident with. That said, there are many great choices out there as everyone has pointed out, but when looking for a waterfowl piece, I look for an auto to help with the recoil and I like at least the 3 inchers just for the versatility. My personal choice is the Browning Gold and the Winchester X2. I do also still love my recoil operated A-5.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have an old Browning A5 that only shoots 2 3/4 shells, it jammed on me one time and it was my fault. Other than that the gun has been flawless, its a great duck/pheasant gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take a good look at the Extrema, had mine for 2 seasons now, no problems, got rid of X2 and glad now that I did. Never thought I would use the 3 1/2" shell much, but a couple of days last year made all the difference.

Good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Have hunted with alot of semi and shot competative sporting clays with all of them and the sbe has always performed flawlessly under extreme conditions . As for the shoot ability the sbe is not great on the clay range but believe me it more than makes up for its self under the the wet freezing conditions I love to find ducks in.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Best fitting shotgun I've ever used is the Browning Auto-5...luckily it is also the best working semi I have ever used or seen. I have a 32" barrelled Belgian...I shoot clays with it and I shoot geese with it...it cycles whatever I put in it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No one can really tell you what the best shotgun is for you. You need to handle each one and see how it fits for you. All anyone else can do is give you opinions and tell you what has happened to various guns they own.

There are also a lot of variables as to what you need out of a gun. Are you wanting it to shoot 2.75" shells? Will you shoot 3.5" shells or will 3" be enough for you? Do you want synthetic, camo synthetic or wood? The goes on.

Here are some I would recommend from personal experience. All have worked flawlessly and they cover just about every price range of auto shotguns. The Super X2 is a great gun that's around $850 with camo.

Another one is the Mossberg 935. It has turned out to be a great gun. It's around $500 in the camo version and about $50 cheaper for the black gun. The only drawback would be it will not shoot 2.75" shells realiably.

The last (and IMO the best one for the money) is the Baikal MP-153. I paid $320 for mine and it will spit out everything from light dove loads to the big 3.5" shells. You can get it in wood or black synthetic. I hear the wood quality is lacking so I got the synthetic.

Here's the Mossy 935 in camo.

Here's the Baikal MP-153 synthetic.

yeller

·
4,554 Posts
I have a Benelli SBE and this is the most reliable gun I have ever used. No Gas system problems and it will shoot anything from AA's to 3.5" Magnums with no issues at all. My Son Has the Beretta / Benelli Pintail and it is also recoil operated and has the same no fail reliability except with Remington 3" magnum ammo which will not eject in about 1 out of 10 shots. The cases are just a bit too long compared to other 3" mag rounds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After many months of looking for my first autoloader I decided on the
stoeger 2000 according to gun digest it incorperates the benelli inertia
system and a beretta barrel. I really dont know about all that what i do know is that i've shot about 25 boxes of shells thru it and have'nt had a single problem with it. Im talking light and heavy loads, thats more then alot of em at the range can say. for less then $400.00 i could'nt be happier. if anyone has any ??? feel free to holler!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my opinion, the best autoloader ever made is the Browning Auto 5.

The design is almost 100 years old and it's hard to improve. No other autoloader has been in more duckblinds and killed more ducks, in my opinion. The recoil operated design is the most reliable of all the different auto systems, basically guaranteeing that once the first shot goes off the others will follow.

It was a sad day when Browning decided to discontinue the Auto 5 and concentrate on the cheaper-to-produce, gas operated Gold.

Grinder

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bought a winchester 1300 speed pump about 6yrs ago, LOVE THE GUN, but this year I decided to upgrade to an auto, and i was faced with the same question. I also own a 3.5" Mosberg Maverick that i won in a "big deer contest". I thought the internals sucked, and the gun was the worst thing i ever sholdered, the gun is still in the box with only 3 rounds through it, there it sits in my safe.....after looking at ALOT of diffrent guns I couldn't find anything that even came close to fitting me...then it happend, i walked into the local sporting goods store, who is having there "going out of buisness" sale, it was everything i could want in a gun. a Browning Gold Hunter 3.5 12 gauge, in Shadow grass make-up, and the new "Dura-Touch, armor coating". I added to it a "Limb Saver" butt pad to help with the punch of those 3 1/2 inchers. now is all I need is a pettern master and she'll be complete! anyways, thats my "ULTIMATE" duck gun, one problem, pri$e tag, complete package ran me about 1,200.00 bucks...1,050 for gun $50 for limb saver then $85 for choke tub.......my $.02

1 - 20 of 30 Posts