Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Nope, generally not unless a big storm is brewing for that night, and then they be looking for food all day.
Best is the morning for most ducks. For over water Mallards mid morning to early afternoon is good when they are returning from the fields.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
98ramtough said:
I think the best time to hunt would be about 30 minutes before shooting hours. Seems there are always birds landing in my decoys...

(I dont shoot at them, but they are fun to watch). Drives the dog nuts.....
Or just when time runs out. :pissed: Here they come. :eek: Sometimes its awful to be honest when it comes to hunting but being a L.E. Officer I have no choice its just not worth it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
SCoutdoorsman said:
98ramtough said:
I think the best time to hunt would be about 30 minutes before shooting hours. Seems there are always birds landing in my decoys...

Or just when time runs out. :pissed: Here they come. :eek: Sometimes its awful to be honest when it comes to hunting but being a L.E. Officer I have no choice its just not worth it. :thumbsup:
Isn't that the truth. Seems like everytime we pull out of the blind, and start heading back, there's always a group of mallards falling in our hole.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Amen on the 30 minutes before shooting hours (I don't shoot them, just watch them mock me)! There's one more time that seems to be better for me though, that's when i'm chest deep in the river setting out or picking up dekes! Also over the years i've hunted dove i found the best time for a dove to fly right up to my face is when I have my you-know-what in hand (relieving myself) and my shotgun next to me against a tree. :toofunny: But on a serious note mornings work the best for me (you do have to be set up and ready by first light) unless I get the opportunity to go out 1-2 hours before a storm moves in, that can produce whole lot of ducks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
all day i would say... My favorite is hunting in the morning but I sometimes would jump ducks on potholes in the evening after the morning hunt and breakfast.. sometimes the hunting is awesome just before sunset.. so I'll say the hunting is good all day... depends where you are hunting. Good Luck :salude:

·
Registered
534 Posts
98ramtough said:

the other day I was setting out the decoys and a mallard landed right next to me so close that I could touch it :eek: I'm not kidding, but when shooting light comes around the ducks flare at 50 yards out or more. maybe I should bring a bow out and . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.