Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a new shotgun this summer and I've been going back and forth between guns and wether or not I want a pump or auto. I'm looking to spend no more than $850. For a pump I would get a Super Nova. But if I can find a good auto for that price, I would get one.

For a auto, I'm thinking a used Winchester SuperX2, Remington 1187....but I would like to know what you guys think. I would like to shy away from the Mossy 935 cause I know who just bought one and has had all kinds of problems with it. Anything would help!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well as things stand your looking at a decent pump gun, although I personaly wouldn't take a Nova or super nova for anyprice other then free. Thats just because the action on everyone I've handled wasn't nearly as smooh as an 870's or a mossberg's. That being said they aren't a bad gun, anyone that has one swears by it.
You should check around cause here in Canada I've found a few places with deals on 11-87 sps supermags and premiers that were in your price range.
Sounds like your set on a 31/2 inch gun if you weren't I'd look at a 3 inch browning gold or silver cause once you get that 100$ rebate back your usualy sitting pretty around 800-875$.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Winchester SX2, hands down. Awesome guns, I've owned one and eventually sold it to my buddy. Never let either of us down to date. Cycled everything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch. I'd stay away from the Remington, I haven't had good experiences with them.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Pump: BPS no question about it
Semi: The SX2 felt great in my hands but I still bought a beretta 3901 citizen. Yes I know that it doesn't shoot 3 1/2 inch shells, but if I need 3 1/2 inch I go to my BPS 10. gauge As far as Mossbergs go, I owned several and sold them. Not because of any problems, but because I wanted better guns. Mossbergs just don't get the respect in the blind that others do. And those ports cost me some hearing sensitivity. Lots of guys settle for what they can afford, then trade it in, take a loss, then get the gun they really want. That end up costing them more. Best of luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey webbed footer, get the Nova, works great for us Oregonians, Bi-Mart is your best bet, $349 in max 4 and 28 inch barrel, We kill a lot of ducks, geese and clays with ours. Damn we had a lot of Cack's this year in the zone didn't we. Still have flights over 4 and 5 thousand every morning.
Go with the Nova, holds up good against our liquid sunshine, and a lot better on the coast side. How much fun is it blasting buffs eh.

oh yeah Go Beavers :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
The nova is probably your best bet...heck for 850 you could get 2..also if you wanted to go with an auto the beretta optima 3" in black is going for about 875 where im from..and last but not least keep an eye on the used racks sometimes you can get a pretty decent gun for pretty cheap ive seen extremas going for 650 or 700.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.