Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been giving some serious thought for some time now about making my own lanyards. more as a hobby to keep myself amused during the non-hunting seasons...give them away as christmas gifts to people i know etc. etc.

it seems that all lanyards are about the same..maybe a couple of subtle differences, but mainly the same.

here is what i am thinking...please tell me what you dislike about lanyards you have owned (no need to mention product names if you don't want to..not trying to slam anyone here.), but more importantly, what would you really LIKE to have on you lanyard.

first thing i am going to try to do is to change the hangman's noose style of attaching the call to the lanyard. mine have always seemed to bind up and been a real hassle to try to take the call off and put a new one on.

call keepers will be included, but removable so people that don't like them can take them off.

large diameter where it hangs around the neck..possibly padded..but the drops will be very thin and the lower portion of the lanyard won't be as thick as the area around your collar. i'm not sure if this will be practical or not when i am making it...if it is too much of a hassle it will all be one diameter.

anyway...these are some thoughts that are rattling around in the empty spaces in my skull.. please tell me what ya'll think and PLEASE add some ideas of your own.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't like the ones with springs because they will scratch up a wooden call.
Bsically, a thick flat braid around the neck then drop two of the cords so it gets thinner near the calls. The lanyard I run now has 5 slots with keepers and I really like it. It would also be really easy to add more if I had some para cord. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
My hunting lanyard is adjustable around the neck. In other words it can hang as low or high as the adjustment will allow. I like that. I would make mine with insert safetys for sure. That could get expensive without them.
I would like a big round braid. five drops because my vomit whistle fits on a regular call drop. The most important thing is I do not want a lanyard where my calls all knock together all the time not only is that irritating, but it is hard on calls.

The knot you were speaking of..... I have a friend down south that made a lanyard for me once with brass sliding beads I thought that was cool, but my calls knocked together. I will bring it to Oregon also for you to see it is a possible alternative to the knot.
It was very convenient for changing calls a little shiney though.

Bret

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting you should mention the bead..i was thinking of using the spring style of retaining the call, but with a small black (or some other similar non-shiny color) bead between the spring and the call to keep the metal spring from scratching up the call.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The "perfect" lanyard would be comfortable to wear around the neck. It would have your calls at the ready without 'em bangin' together or getttin' tangled. It would also be nice if it would float. It needs to made out of a durable, yet flexible material that is imperviuos to the use a duck hunter would subject it to. Now havin' said all of that... I have tried just about every type of call lanyard out there & none of 'em met all of those requirements. I recently have "ordered" a custom made lanyard to that will do it all, but float, accordin' to the fella that makes 'em.

I don't wear alot of calls...2 to be exact... a cocobola & an acrylic, along with a dawg whistle & a generic duck whistle. On my lanyard is also a small light & a remote.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I like a big loop around the neck. I don't like the loop rubbing on my neck so i tuck it around my hood on my jacket. Also different lengths of call drops, that would help the knocking. I like to tuck my less used calls inside my chest waders, and my most used calls on the left and the right side of the lanyard outside my waders. My new lanyard is made of parachute cord and has the hangman style call holds on it, they are hard to get a call off of after it has ridden there all season. Other than that i don't have any complaints.

·
Registered
883 Posts
:withstupid:
I gotta agree with the anti-clanking theme. In the still cold air, you can hear calls "clank" together all most across the lake.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i have a leather witch doctor and really like it mainly for the clanking reason. i also like the springs too.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I like a nylon braid rounded lanyard. Thick and round around the neck, and adjustable is nice, so you can have the calls hang low or high. I don't like the springs, they damage calls and put added weight on the lanyard, and rust over time. I like a clip on the side for my tri tronics transmitter, and one on the other side for a whistle. A six drop would be nice, spread out. Six drop would only hold three calls as I usually put one loop on the barrel and one on the insert. Make the lanyard in camo, maybe if there was a way to get a camo pattern on paraschout cord? (how the hell do you spell that? lol) Last but not least, maybe if the lanyard is thick enough around the neck you could put something in the cord to make it float, so if you drop it out of a boat or something it would float?

Mike

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I like the floating lanyard idea. How about a floating gun, coffe mug, shells..............

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
floating keychains....i know they already make them, but i really should get one for duck season.

dropped the keys to my rig in about 15 feet of tidal marsh water last season. my hunting buddy almost had me convinced to strip down and go in after them (while he was reaching for the digi-cam i might add) until another guy spoke up and volunteered to take me home in his rig and get me back to the ramp the next day to pick up my truck.

it shouldn't be too hard to make a floating lanyard. maybe use a strip of neoprene and braid the cord around it. that should do it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I guess the poor mans floating lanyard would be a normal lanyard with a boat keychain attached to it. That would work well i would think. I like the idea of having something woven into the colar piece though.

I lost two cell phones last year while in the marsh. How much do those little plastic zippi things cost? who knows, probably way more than a little ol' cell phone.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
ziplock bags work good for keeping cellphones dry. I just stuck it inside my waders..
cx
Swamp- That is a good idea to just braid the parachute cord around neoprene. I think they make a round flat braided lanyard that floats. I saw a picture of one somewhere that look awesome. I will try to find a picture of it. I will be buying one this year, let me know if it turn out good and I will send ya some $$ for one :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would purchase one also. Man can you amagine how much an original swamp pup call lanyard will be worth in about 30 years. Especially one of the very first ones, that were hand woven with The Swamps own blood and sweat in it. Not like the ones in year 2035, that only have Guadimalin sweat and blood on them.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL!!!

i wouldn't outsource my product to a third world country just to save on labor costs thus reducing the final price for my loyal customers...instead i would hire american employees to work in my state of the art, solid granite production facility located on the the cliffs above La Jolla, CA.

i'm sure everyone wouldn 't mind paying $150.00 bucks a piece for a lanyard..... right?? :umm: :hammering: :laughing:

actually, this is going to be a hobby...not a business venture. i don't think lanyard making in itself is really profitable enough to dediacate that much time to. especially during hunting season.

errr...sorry bill. can't go hunting with ya tomorrow...gotta sit around and braid my little lanyard thingys. got orders to fill ya' know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.