Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Is Your Favorite Puddle Duck Species To Hunt?
Mallard3436.56%
Widgeon88.60%
Teal1617.20%
Wood Duck1516.13%
Gadwall11.08%
Pintail1010.75%
Other (specify)99.68%

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I know we all like a nice big fatty greenhead in the dekes, but some other species can actually be more fun to hunt. So, which is your favorite duck to hunt?

Vote for one in the poll and then please tell us why you picked it.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Widgeon!!!

i love widgeon! i love the way they decoy..twisting and turning in..making pass after pass..fast, agile, vocal, and nervous. for me, you just can't beat a big group of baldpates whistling in.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
We like the Green Heads cause they are possibly the most abundant duck around here now and they are just as tasty and large as a Black Duck. In the areas that I hunt we don't see too many different species : Blacks, Mallards, Teal ( Blue and Green wing ) a few Ring Necks and Woodies and the occasional Pintail.

·
Registered
408 Posts
widgeon baby!!!! I get sick of killing all mallards sometimes and i love the drake widgeon. I love seeing them come into the spread and then drop down into it!! Plus mallards get to big and can shatter silos if they hit them.(has happened only once to me)

·
Registered
450 Posts
mallards!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i would have to say it's a toss up. mallards and canvasbacks. i love the response to the call from mallards and canvasbacks was the first duck i ever shot. it doesn't hurt they are both beautiful...

anyone that's tired of shooting mallards let me know, i'll come up and give you a rest. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm a widegon man my self.... I love a few drake baldpates in my limit. Add's a nice varity, but my favorite duck is still one that's 20 yards out, in the decoys, with landing gear down. :getdown:

Mallyard

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mallyard said:
but my favorite duck is still one that's 20 yards out, in the decoys, with landing gear down.
oh yeah...i like the widgeon when they are just getting ready to drop in. they are sort of hovering over a hole in the dekes about 20 yards out and maybe just a couple of feet off the water.

BANG!! SPLASH!! dead where they drop. the only concern now is how many decoys the dog gets wrapped up in swimming out and back. lol.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I've got to say the Black duck; they are the smartest duck in all the flyways. Unlike Greenheads that have to be shot at to smarten up, they come out of the egg hawky, and ready to humble you. You can be the best caller, have the best decoys, and be where they want to be, and they will still land a 100yrds off your decoys. They will sit there waiting for you to make a mistake. It becomes a waiting game; I've seen them wait until after dark, then come to roost. Something happens when it's real cold, they get real stupid. Like a buck in rut, I don't understand why.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You just can't beat a few dozen woodies screaming in in pairs and small groups first thing in the morning. That squeal and the way that they come out of nowhere in the middle of a beaver swamp is just awesome. Not to mention that it is hard to find a prettier duck. :salude:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.