Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you like in a sporting goods store. What kind of surroundings?
What is important to you? Service? Price? A large selection?

Please let me know.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Admin3-

Are you going to open up a store? Personally here is what is important to me.

1)A fun store. Get a projector and always play waterfowl videos on a wall somewhere. Put a couple couches down so guys can come in, watch the video and call and shoot the poo with other guys in your store.

2)Descent prices.

3)quality products.

4)a well rounded mix of high quality products and cheaper popular products. One thing I hate about sportsmans warehouse is it seems like they are starting to geer more towards the cheaper priced stuff. Take for instance fly tying materials. They never carry any high quality geer.

Mike

Admin3 said:
What do you like in a sporting goods store. What kind of surroundings?
What is important to you? Service? Price? A large selection?

Please let me know.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
sales people must be curteous and intelligent - they don't need to know it all, but should try to find it out if they don't. Also no blowhard know-it-alls who try to sell you everything.

Good depth and breadth of product(s) - lets me do some of my own research.

Surroundings - doesn't matter too much. though i do stay longer at places like Cabelas. (Marketing folks will say that equates to more $ but it's not always true.)

Price. Between price and sales people it is hard to place one over the other, but these are probably most important to me. Being a college student with a limited income I always find my way to the clearance rack.
-of course i don't know whether that really helps me spend less- :toofunny:

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. a lARGE selection, always have good service and nice people working.
Yeah the tv's with hunting videos would be really cool. A good comfterable surrounding would be good. Have all the taxidermy stuff of animals. Have the workers know where stuff is and know about it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Good personell. There is an awesome sporting goods store in Athens where I went spent 5 yrs at UGA, but the guys working there made it no fun to go there. They specialized in guns, but made you feel like you were an idiot and didn't have the right to shop there unless you were an expert. :pissed: If you asked a question they would give some sarcastic know-it-all answer. It always made me so uncomfortable that I would only go in if I knew exactly what I wanted and where in the store to get it. God forbid I ask a question. Try to steer clear of A-holes like that.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Good sales people for sure. Room, I like room. There is a store I love to go to because of the prices of their hunting clothes. And the taxidermy is fantastic. But their racks are so close together, it makes it hard to shop. There is stuff piled everywhere and it is unorganized. So sometimes it is not worth the effort. Gander Moutain almost has it right. Ambiance (not the truck you ride to the hospital in) helps alot. I like a place I can get a new coat, some jerky mix, a wildlife picture, some ammo, some fishing tackle, a turkey fryer and some dekes all in one shot. All this with out having to take out a second morgage on my home that is.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ya Good Sales people for sure. They have to know about what they are talking about. But I like a store that focuses its attention mainly on hunting and fishing supplies. When I walk in a store I dont want to have to walk by the treadmills and fitness equipment to get to the hunting section, because I dont need it, I get my workout when im wearing my waders having to walf a mile carrying a bag of decoys my gun and extra gear. So when I walk in I want to be immedatly surrounded by hunting equipment. And another important thing is they need to have a good selection of products. I want to see lots and lots and lots of guns and many different brands and styles of decoys.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The atmosphere is pretty important to me. If it's an outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping etc.......then it should have that look and feel to it! Of course all the other stuff also: staff, good products, good return policy's, prices, selection....all the norm. I live about 45 minutes from Bass Pro in Springfield MO. and I trully LOVE the atmosphere. I'll drive up there just to walk around, not even by anything. Just maybe go to the McDonalds inside, get a pie and shake and set up above the big waterfall with the deep "pond" below and watch the pheasants, mallards, wood ducks and fish move around. It's pretty neat.
:salude:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Gotta add this, I was at Bass Pro in January looking at decoys with my wife when she says "hey a duck". I was like "ok, ya, theres lots of them here in the decoy section". We were the only two really around and she said that no, theres a real duck walking around. Sure enough, a mallard drake was in the hunting section walking around. When I found him he was standing next to an Avery blind bag display. Thats atmosphere!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
great thread idea!

you're going to find that customer service is predomininantly what people want more than anything. the look and feel is great, but people want to feel welcome wherever they go. just remember, make people happy and they will spend money in your establishment. i don't know if anyone here has ever heard of the "give 'em the pickle" customer service campaign. it sounds corny but it's a very good theory. you can search on the web for it. there are too many sporting goods stores out there that just don't get it. they may have great products, just poor service. there ambiance may be perfect but they staffs runs people out of the door. concentrate on customer service!!! (did i already mention that? :smile: ) most importantly, it starts with the owner/proprietor of the place. you can't expect your staff to take care of your customers if you're not taking care of them. educate them on the products you sell. if resources are available, allow them to test the products. educate them about hunting and fishing and if you can, take them with you when you go on trips and such. you'll get to right-it-off anyway. the more knowledge they have the better your place will be. praise/reward them for excellence or when complimented by customers. you won't have to worry about your people leaving if you do these things. think about this, of all the people you know, the ones that (truly) know the most about hunting and fishing in your area are those that get to hunt and fish that area more than most. that's important because a guy trying to feed his family of 4 can't hunt/fish with any regularity if he has a poor paying job. tap into young people very carefully. you don't want some 17 year old kid ruining your businesses' reputation because his girlfriend dumped him or his dad laid into him for screwing up. find mature, eager teens to work for you that are very engaged in outdoor activities. then invest your resources into 3 or 4 loyal (depending on your shop size) employees who have the same vision for your business that you do.

anyway, enough rambling. look is huge, product line/availability are just as significant, but nothing is as near as important as the staff you choose to represent you. you get the point.... :thumbsup:

bass-pro hits well on a couple of these, so does cabelas. i can't speak for GM or SA, etc.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have a Dunn's and a Bass Pro by my house. Dunn's is a little closer, but even if it was not I would shop there everyday before Bass Pro. I hate going into a store where you have to walk a mile across it to find what you are looking for. I also like that Dunn's is smaller and some of the people actually recognize you when you walk in the door. Another thing I like is not making some big corporation even richer. I have met Dale Dunn who owns that store. He was nice to me, so I like patronizing him.

This is just like the Bow shop I shop at. It is probably only 200 square feet and then there is kind of a store room in the back. I know the owner of the store. When I need arrows, all I have to do is call him and say hey mike it's brian I need a half dozen arrows.

I guess the main thing I'm getting at is what people have already said. The people in the store make all the difference, but quality of goods is a close second.

·
Registered
622 Posts
what shrpshtr said. And if you don't have what I want tell me you will order it, tell me when it will be in, and call me when it gets there. If you can't order it tell me where I can get it. Service the customers needs and they will be your customer not someone else's.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I get where you guys are coming from, smaller, personable shops, BUT the only "small" shops near me is Wal-Mart........yea........and Southtown Sporting Goods. They are local,only 1 store, been here forever, over 30 years, and greet ya when ya come through the door. BUT, their prices will kill ya! Example: An Avery decoy bag I can get at wally world for say $15, Bass Pro for $18...Southtown $32! Two feeding duck butts, Carrylite, $20! I used to shop the smaller stores around here, but they have driven themselves out buy raising the prices so high. And yes I know they have to because of the larger retailers taking over, but what can ya do? I'm not independently wealthy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.