Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Depends. Are you hunting in a river, big water, farm pond...... I like the 6 oz strap anchors. If I am hunting in the river, I bend them into a u shape to grab better in the current. If you hunt primarily in the river, you might be better off with the bell shaped weights. Buy a couple of each and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
w/out current or tide to contend with your only issue will be wind.....therefore on goose floaters I would suggest 12 oz, but you may be able to get by with 8oz if it is a muddy soft bottom.........8oz on the ducks....... In your situation of a moderate sized lake (and I realize moderate can be regionalized term) I would go heavier before considering lighter.....always best to err on the positive than to be chasing down drifters when the sun comes up.....also, line length will play a role in what holds....a longer line will hold a lighter anchor

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i use 12 oz for geese and 8 oz for ducks. when the wind comes up hard ive had the geese move with 12 oz weights. but generally the winds at your back and your in a sheltered area.

·
Registered
721 Posts
When I hunt inland I use 6 oz strap and mushroom weights. These are lakes and ponds with no current at all and soft bottoms. Depths vary, but are usually 2-5ft deep. I run 8ft lines on my weights just to be safe and most of my decoys are herters model 72's many of them burlapped.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I use the same as donell. 8 oz trap on ducks and 12 oz strap on geese. Lately I have been switching to tangle free decoy ancors and I drill them out and use them like a slip sinker with a knot on the bottom. They adjust as they need it.

Mike

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
i dont really care, i just strap a wieght on the they do fine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have to use 8 oz on ducks and 12 oz on geese. see my problem is i hunt on a lake and it has humps that go from 10' to 20' in just a few inches so i just use 20' of cord with ducks and with geese. i have also found out that the tangle free cord works wonderfully like 98ramtough said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.