Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is what i have accomplished, my pup is 17 weeks and he is able to sit, heel, knows here. he is fetching a teal flasher up to 50 or 60 yards when thrown, but he goes when he wants to, so what are my next steps. i have the waterdog, and fowldog videos but i dont think im doing this stuff right, i really have know idea what im doing, do i need to collar condition him, also how do i get started to do the bucket or pile drill, and how do i get him to go to the pile.

Any help would be great, this is very frustrating not knowing what to do.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
mswings said:
Ok, here is what i have accomplished, my pup is 17 weeks and he is able to sit, heel, knows here. he is fetching a teal flasher up to 50 or 60 yards when thrown, but he goes when he wants to, so what are my next steps. i have the waterdog, and fowldog videos but i dont think im doing this stuff right, i really have know idea what im doing, do i need to collar condition him, also how do i get started to do the bucket or pile drill, and how do i get him to go to the pile.

Any help would be great, this is very frustrating not knowing what to do.
It sounds like your pup has lots of drive and learns fast, but I would suggest you slow down just a tad.
To keep him from breaking (Going on his own), put a check cord on him so he can't do as he pleases.
Until you've got your OB down pat, I wouldn't recommend advancing any further.
When you think your pup has his OB down,,, do it some more.
You can't over train OB. The better the OB, the easier it is to advance.

·
Registered
319 Posts
OB should be to the point where if the dog starts running off with your girlfriends pet bunny, you can tell him to sit and he will. That is how I would catch my dog if he had something in his mouth that he wasn't supposed to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't rush it and keep it fun. One of the worst things a guy can do is rush or push your dog to the point where training isn't fun anymore. Once the pup has lost that and it's turned into a boring chore, he/she will look at training as a nuisance. Your training should be limited to 10 to 15 minutes to keep it fun and fresh and not repetitive and building longer from there. Throw in simple obedience work to mix it up on a short lead with some simple voice and hand commands. Sometimes if you get in a rut, take a little time off and come back to it in a few days to a week or more. I wouldn't consider the e-collar until 6 months old at the earliest. I didn't work any of my dogs until nearly 9 months. You'll get conflicting ideas, I'm sure, but it sounds like you may be pushing your little one a bit too much and too fast. IMO.

I get GUN DOG magazine and every issue has at least one article that will teach you something you may not have known prior. Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.