Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently chosen the task of training the ultimate hunting companion--a dog. Experience from my end, I would wager, is far below par compared to some of you. After much reading, deliberation, soul searching and the like, I figured I would start at the top with the famed Chesapeake Bay Retriever. After hours of vision imparing searching on the web imagine my delight that I should find a training video geared specifically towards Chessies. Imagine my sheer excitement and joy that one of the dogs in this particular video is my new pups grandfather. Holy cow. Hell, I just wanted some videos to give SteveInTN a break from my endless questions. The video proved to be an amazing display of hunting and retrieving prowess unlike anything I had seen or read about thus far. The dogs and the way they hunted and handled was beautiful and near flawless. The problem was that this video is completely usless to me, the new trainer. All the dogs on it were finished animals with virtually no input as to how the trainer actually got to that point. Kinda like, "look at me and my super dogs." I understand this from a fiscal point of view.....the guy ultimately wants you to send him your dogs so he can make them super dogs too. My problem is that the video and the web site is all pimping dog TRAINING. None of which was present. So, because this particular video is nothing more than promotional I was forced to get the much recommended Water Dog. Water Dog proved to be much better in regards to training, especially to the new guy. However, what I'm looking for, and I fear does not exist, is a video with actual training in it. I want to see a 10 week old puppy taking a crap on the trainers Oriental rug and him reacting to it. I want to see a 12 week old puppy nipping at his daughter. I want to see a 13 week old puppy learning heel. I want to see some reality dammit. I don't want to see dogs that have already been trained. I want to see a 14 week old fetch a duck wing, take it to the corner of the yard and eat it. Ahhhh, I can't take it anymore, I'm going to go watch "Ray" now--you know the Ray Charles movie. I'll let you know how it was and if I ever find my diamond in the rough training video. Later.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do a search for videos from Mike Lardy. He doesn't have videos for the puppy stage, but he has some AWESOME videos that cover all the work beyond 6 months of age. His collar conditioning video is just like you are talking about. He actually takes a raw pup and collar conditions him on the video.

Anyway.....

With his videos you WILL find a video by two female trainers. They cover the stuff you do with the pup BEFORE 6 months of age, and even beyond I think..

So do a search for Lardy videos and this one might pop up with it. I know it is recommended by Mike Lardy.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray was good--a bit long though. Kinda like my average post. As always Steve, thank you. I still owe you a favor or a hunt next year. Will definately check out recommended vids. The tone of prior post is not indicative of current training process. I followed your advice regarding heel. I.E., longer controlled walks. After two days, on the lead anyway, my boy has it nailed. Why am I complaining about substandard vids when I got a SteveInTN. Later.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
What a video to make. Kinda sounds like a money maker to me. I can already see my future puppy taking a crap on my carpet and getting it all on film.

A book you might try out is Smartfetch, by Evan Graham. Seems like a real common sense way of force fetching and basic ob commands. Another suggestion about training references is to read or watch as much as possible. This way you can pick different things that you like from different references.

Ok I helped you, how about a hunt for me!?! :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.