Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats ur choice of calls that works best 4 u on these 2 species -pintail and wegion

flextone and duck commanders whistle seems best to me but im not that good of a caller lookin for something easier to start off with to learn better please help me

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i use a locally made whistle that was crafted by a gentleman who has hunted out here for many years. it looks much like a whistle you would see a referee blowing, but is made from the brass from two 12ga shotshells with a mouthpiece attached. it is pure death on widgeon. i don't blow it for pinnys much as they are so damn stupid they tend to land 5 feet in front of us no matter what we do. i like it because it is a softer (not quieter) sound and not as sharp and piercing like most combo whistles are. widgeons have a softer tone to their whistle..and this mimicks it perfectly.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I blow an old olt whistle. the thing is so old all the writing is warn off of it. It smells like vomit... it has something to do with the material it is made out of. It sure sounds good though. I like it for the same reasons as SP it is a little mellower, but you can blow a ton of air through it and it will get plenty loud. I would like to blow on of the ones Swamp puppy is talking about.

I mix whistles in with my mallard call for both species mentioned.

Bret

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Bret - Fraz

I'll bring the whistle with me to the festival bret. you can check it out there. also, i'll see if they are still selling them. i haven't seen them around in awhile, but there may be one place that still has them. i hate the guys that work there though, so i hate to go in there. lol. if i remember correctly the cost was around 20 bucks.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Bret - the company that sells them is "The Gun Room" here in portland. they usually have a decent size booth set up at the festival and may be selling them there. also, you may know shawn from the calling circuit. i think his father is the owner of the place.

Fraz - i just got a buck gardner whistle for its use as a drake whistle. it's not a bad widgeon whistle either. i'm almost tempted to just use it this year.......almost. :thumbsup:

*update*

i just called the...ehhh...errrrrmmm...gentlemen at the Gun Room. They are currently out of stock on the whistles, but Ronnie is in the proccess of making some more and they should be available this summer. cost will be around 15 to 20 dollars.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ive got a buck gardner wistle for wigeon and pintails but also have a Duck Commander mallard drake wistle. Since the BG wistle is so small its easy to get to when they are close and u need it quickly. The duck commander wistle is louder and more demanding IMO and sound better and can do a great mallard drake!! but it is bigger than a wistle. Just my .02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yeh, Bret - those molded plastic whistles that have a short round flare @ the front (mine's an old R'n'T; some of the guys mentioned Primos) are excellent. They work like a charm on wood ducks, too. Believe it or not, I used that whistle, plus a doz. wood duck decoys - got a woody to come right into the decoys. Yes - I got a woody to decoy! That whistle will work wonders for you. It's the off season - see if anybody locally has them. Check the mail order folks only after the hardware store put 'em away for the season. Shouldn't be more than $10.00; you might even get an instructional tape.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I use the trusty wing setter for widgeon.

But, SP, can you please put me on the list for one of those calls as well?

As for pintail I use one of those "T" calls that you do not have to twirl your tongue. By far the best pintail call I have used.

On Christmas morning my dad and I were hunting together here in a flooded rice field and I kid you not...I got a hen and drake wood duck to decoy with a mallard call. I have never seen a wood duck on open water, much less respond to a mallard call!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use a Buck Gardner as well. Pintail, Wigeon and Drake Mallard. Has worked well the past 2 years.

bozeman

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use an old RNT, the same mold as the Buck Gardner whistles, just made about 15 years ago. The "who wee who" calls seem to work well on widgeons, but I haven't ever seen a pinnie respond to a trill whistle. Swamp Puppy, where are you hunting where you have a bunch of dumb pintails just dumping into your decoys? I can't buy a good long tailed sprig unless pintial season is over. They are, in my experience, the most wary ducks we come across. I heard black ducks are spooky, but we don't see many of those in Missouri.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.