Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 14 and just got into the sport of waterfowl hunting(I’ve hunted big game since I was 10) I was fortunate enough to shoot my first duck and a limit of Cacklers. When did other youth hunters shoot their first waterfowl bird?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Smile Military camouflage Military uniform Military person People in nature
Using a single shot 20 gauge Harrington and Richards shotgun. I was 12 or 14 and I had missed a few that day and was going home empty handed again. Then this little guy jumped off a ditch amd I got him!

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
I was twelve years old, and went with my father, my best friend and his father near Clinton, Missouri.

Mid morning, a nice group of about two dozen mallards worked us. With the sun at our backs, we could see the iridescent green heads and speculum on their wings as they made a few passes. Finally, they cupped up and back-peddled down into the decoys. I was on the right end of the blind, stood up and fired the 16 gauge which was the smallest gun available to me. The kick knocked me back a bit and I was certain I missed.

After the two men marked the birds they shot, I was left to wonder- Did I really hit this greenhead floating on the right side of the decoys? To this day, I really do not know, so I refer to it as the Mystery Duck of 1972.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts