Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is definitely going to flag me as a newbie, but what the hell. I'm new to this, and haven't had a chance to actually go out and give it a try yet.

When do you guys put your waders on? Are they comfortable enough that you put them on at your truck and then hike in to where you'll be hunting, or do you wear something more comfortable for the hike in and switch to the waders once you're in there?

I get the impression that a lot of hunters don't like to take the time to hike/lug their gear too far from where they park. I love to hike, so I'm thinking that packing light weight and hiking a ways might be a good way to get away from the crowd.

Does that make sense? How far do people here tend to hike before they set up?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I will hike up to a mile in my neoprenes, but do not enjoy it. I personally usually put my waders on at the house, and drive in them to my hunting spot, wear them all day and take them off when I get home. If its not cold where you hunt, get some breathables and throw them in a pack. I have some, but it gets too cold down here for them.

Mike

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
depends. I usually put the waders in a decoy bag and wear my gortex boots as far as I can. Then I put on my waders. If the spot is close to the truck, or I am riding in a boat, then I put them on when I park the truck. My 5mm make it too dang hot to hike to far.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If I don't have very far to go or can ride a fourwheeler in our something then I put mine on before I leave the house. But if I've got a good ways to go then I wait til the last possible place to put them on. Those 5mm 1200g of thinsulate get pretty dang hot!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like u hunt california like i do not to far from u matter of fact.In the first part of the duck season its usaly still 80 deg hier as u know during those weeks i wear alot of mosquto spray and leave the waders in the trailor till i get to my hunting spot since its a mile walk to the spot i hunt and in waders even powdered balls are unhappy balls if u know what i mean during the cloder months i wear them from the parking lot to the hunting spot.Since u r new i would tell u that the powder remak is for real if u dont want to end up with a bad case of joke ich on your balls us the baby powder if u have to walk alot in your waders

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh. I hear you about taking care of the boys. I've done a lot of sport motorcycling over the years, in 90F - 105F heat while wearing head to toe leather, and it sounds like a similar situation.

A related question is whether it's better to get one piece waders with the boots as part of them, or to get stocking foot waders and then strap a boot on over top. If there's going to be a lot of walking, I can see an advantage to wearing the boots for the walk and then pulling the waders on once you're there.

What are people's preferences, and why?

Oh, and I got a chance to go on my first duck hunt yesterday. A friend of the family took me down to his duck club near Los Banos and loaned me some gear to give it a go. It was definitely fun, although there were very few ducks. I only got to shoot at four of them all day, and unfortunately missed them all. :thumbsdown: Ah well, there's always next time.

They took pity on the new guy, though. When we got back in from the blind there were a bunch of ducks piled up on the back of the truck (mostly teals) and people wandering around saying I shouldn't go home empty handed. It feels kind of weird to bring home someone else's kill, but it didn't seem like there was an option to refuse.

Unfortunately, now that I've used up my freebie trip to his club, I'm on my own from here on.

I tried introducing my lab to a duck in the back yard, but all she wanted to do was sniff it. Guess she needs some training. :smile:

So, it looks like if I want to do more of this any time soon, I'll need to go out on my own without a dog. This leads to another question. How hard is it to retrieve the birds without a dog? Are the public waterfowl areas shallow enough that it won't be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of the spots I hunt are shallow enough to walk about about 10-15 feet, usually muddy as hell. So without a dog it makes me take better shots. Not to far out just for the fact that I don't want to knock them down and then have them dive and what not. But I usually take my Avery pole with me that extends out to about 18 feet and that usually helps a ton.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I ALWAYS wear pants and slip off shoes or boots to the hunting spot and put on hunting boots or waders once there. My wife has lectured me many times about not getting back into the truck with my [email protected] muddy waders and hunting boots. This makes the marrage last longer. Call me whipped or what ever ya want. Maybe I'm just like my dog, trained!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I usually put on my waders at the boat launch, or after parking the vehicle if I'm walking to where I'll layout the decoys. Sometimes it gets so cold here in N.W. Ohio on the lake, I'd have liked to put them on before I left the house. But the boots are 1000gr thinsulate and are too large for safe driving.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
What are waders?

And who needs them? I bought a pair earlier this fall--and never used them. Oh well... I guess that is what a boat and a dock are for so you do not need waders and of course a dog to retrieve the ducks. :thumbsup: I love gortex bibs and coat along with hunting boats :hammering: I have the waders in a roll up dry bag just for in case I need them. I suspect I'll use them maybe this spring in tending the mallard nests...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
h2ofwlr said:
What are waders?

And who needs them? I bought a pair earlier this fall--and never used them. Oh well... I guess that is what a boat and a dock are for so you do not need waders and of course a dog to retrieve the ducks. :thumbsup: I love gortex bibs and coat along with hunting boats :hammering: I have the waders in a roll up dry bag just for in case I need them. I suspect I'll use them maybe this spring in tending the mallard nests...
1) Waders are for cheapskates like me who can't afford a boat or dog. I am my own boat & my own dog (gives new meaning to "my life as a dog"). :laughing:
2) I put my waders on when I step out of the car (that's right, car. Can't afford a truck, either). I use boot foot waders - I can't drive in them. Tried that once, had the break & gas pushed down @ the same time.
3) Some day when I can afford all of these goodies, just watch the waterfowl populations plummet. :toofunny:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i put mine on usually at the boat ramp/truck. i don't walk very far it most situations though. as far as type goes, i am an avid fly fisherman also. i use stocking foot for that reason. i have mud boots for ducks, etc. and felt-soled boots for fly fishing. to me, i would prefer not using the stocking foot because it's pretty aggrevating sometimes trying to get your boots on when you're bundled up in clothing and waders. but, it's practical so i deal with it.

about your dog, she's (i think you specified gender) a lab then it shouldn't take any time at all for her to learn to retrieve ducks. i never saw a lab that didn't sniff their first few ducks before they retrieved them. go to your local sporting goods store (or cabelas, basspro, etc.) and purchase a duck decoy. that will get your dog used to retrieving something that size. with a little work, she'll do fine.

good luck to you...

·
Registered
63 Posts
a neighbor of mine got a great idea one hot duck opener. it was in the 80's,and he had the old rubber waders, not the neoprene ones. well, he decided to just wear his tidy whities under his waders. the marsh was a quarter mile away. umm.......bad move. by the time we got to the marsh that morning, he was 200 yards behind us, holding his waders away from his legs and crotch so they would quit chafing him. he was walking like he just got -well- handled by a clydsedale. so here we are, all set up, a minute before duck season begins, ducks buzzin the dekes, and all laughing so hard, a few of us fell in over our waders. hes half running,looking like he needed to find a port-a-potty real quick. the sky was just black with ducks. i had tears in my eyes,i was laughing so hard. :laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.