Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Start right now,basic obedience & play.Simple play time retrieves in your house ,preferable a hallway.I would knot up an old sock.Make everything fun for your pup,don't expect a whole lot right now & above all"be patient!There a quite a few self help books available,you can look on this forum & there are a lot of good ideas. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Get some books. Read the forum here. So much stuff to say to get a dog started I could write a book on it and that's why they are out there. One thing I can say is socialize the pup with you, your family, and any one else you can get that pup in contact with. Get him into as many situations as you can. This will get him bold and he won't be confused or scared of new situations. Obedience is also key just like heeler said. Start slow and move at the pace of the pup. If you move to fast, the lessons won't sink in. Best advice though is to read the forum here and read the individual problems or questions posted in it. There are plenty of guys here who can answer individual problems or questions you might have.

Enjoy that puppy. They don't stay that way long!

· Registered
256 Posts
great points guys.

One thing i would like to add is try to keep whatever you use to play fetch with handy while pup is in the house. If she picks up something other than her bumper and brings it to you take it from her and then throw her bumper when she brings this back praise her up real good soon she will learn the difference between what to pick up and what not to without you having to correct her. One thing you don't want to do is try and instill alot of disipline in her at this young age most all pups are to young to handle it.teaching her basic obedience is fine but do not come down on her when she gives you the wrong response to what you are asking of her, there will be plenty of time for that later. Also keep your retrieving sessions short four or five throws two or three times a weekis plenty. Pups have a very short attention spanand over doing it will only add to your problems.

Hope this helps

· Registered
2,318 Posts
SCoutdoorsman said:
NOW NOW NOW :thumbsup:

And just ask for help along the way if you need it. Good luck.
:withstupid:

(I have been wanting to use this emoticon since i joined this forum, sorry it had to be you SC that i used it on... :smile: )

· Registered
2,392 Posts
I totally agree with all the advice above, start right away. I like to start with come, heal, sit and stay the first day. I do it with the food bowl. Not hard to get a dog to come when it hears the food bowl rattle. Then walk around with the bowl close to the ground and say heal, stay in front of the dog and do a loop around the area you feed it. Then put the bowl down and say sit and put the pup in sit position and say stay while holding it in position. Do this each time you feed the dog. It will get you a great start. I picked this up when I got my last pup and I was shocked at how fast he was doing all the commands. I added hand signals as soon as he started to get it and as soon as he was getting the hand signals I threw in the whistle. Like everyone said keep it fun and simple and do this just for a minute but consistent at meals. Once the pup has it you can start doing the commands other places and off you go.

· Registered
109 Posts
Wolters was a good trainer in his time and his books are classics but his stuff is a little outdated ,IMHO. Smartwork and 10 Minute Retriever are considerably more up to date and deal with collar conditioning and Force Fetching in a much more comprehensive manner. Oh yeah, START NOW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.