Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 12 week old yellow lab that I want to eventually train to hunt with me. Does anybody know of any good places around ABQ to train. I live on base and I don't think I can use a training pistol without having all the base cops come draw down on me. Also, at what age should I introduce gunfire? And one last question... Where are some good places around ABQ to train with water marks? Thanks for the gouge. Oh yeah, this is my first dog, so if any of you enjoy training and would like to help me out in any way then I'm open to all the help I can get. Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
I introduced gun training on 1st pup at about 14weeks old, opening
day of dove. Second pup at about four months old. You can water
train on the river outside albuquerque or check out cochiti lake
almost an hour north. There is some dog clubs in the area, might
even be some members here. You got ya a good training book?
I havent trained much with my current lab, more like hunt and train.
I'd be down later to do a little. You can go just outside city limits (Albq or Rio Rancho) to the west or Los Lunas or Belen west of town for desert or the river. I've seen guys on the weekend just south of tramway rd and west side of I-25. You might also be able
to go to the wma's south too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm also getting ready to start formal training with my first pup. Ordered a collar yesterday. Dirt gave you some good ideas about where to train water marks. You could also get yourself a key to the Bosque and work at Pena Blanca or Los Lunas.

I'm going to start with water marks at Cochiti and Abiquiu lakes so the bumper doesn't float away if Dixie decides not to retrive it. although that shouldn't be a problem once she's FF'd.
I introduced gunfire at around 4 months with a thrower and a .22. I started working in a 20 ga a month or two ago. Gonna move up to a 12 ga after I'm done with force fetching.

If you are looking for clubs send 30Caliber a pm. There are several in ABQ. I have yet to meet up with them but hopefully it will happen this summer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Teufelhunden
Right out side the Wyoming gat is Acoma Training Center, Its a great place to start your pup on obdience traing. I started out with Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens.I'm now using Fowl Dawgs 1 by Rick Stawski. The Tingly ponds in town are great for water work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I train almost daily in the yard. Formal and informal training.

Took my lab to the Lake in my boat for the first time, she loved the boat the faster the better.

We stopped on a little beach to let the dogs out and she was in the water first thing.

My daughter threw a rock in the lake and she leaped after it and when she could not find it she dove completly under looking for it.

I don't guess water training will be much of a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts