Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Lab is by far the most popular retriever and all around hunting dog and gets my vote. I've also had some outstanding Golden retrievers and generally like them a little better, but a lab is more of a sure bet for the average hunter. It's important to buy a a well bred dog with hunting parents. That's my opinion. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Chessies are great... I have one of each (lab and a chessie)

The Chessie matures slower, has longer hair, and is a bit more stubburn. He would die for me to get a bird though, or do whatever else I wanted. He is also very protective of my home.

Chessie vs. Lab - neither really win. Its what fits you better. Both are great retrievers, both flush well, both learn fast.

Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
labs are way more popular, doesn't mean there better, just means everybody and their brother has two, and breeds them like rabitts, get whatever you want, they'll all do the job equally well, I've got a boxer right now that's going pheasant hunting with us and he actually flushes more birds than my brother in laws two labs put together, (I started taking him for exersice) any dog will do the job, it's how well you train it, so pick a dog with a dispositon you would like and buy some books, like the tritronics book or whatever, (this is where everybody promotes richard walters who never actually trained a winning dog) so don't buy water dog, get a different one, and read it then get a dog and work with it every day. they'll all fetch a duck or pheasent or goose, it's whatever you want to have as a compainion and there is allot with more personality than a lab.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm a proud chessie owner, wouldn't own anything else. But they are unique dogs and take more involved training and a lot of patience! I've found a few articles that my be helpful to you: The first is an article about THE BIG 3 @ www.oakhillkennel.com go to library, pick retriever breeds in training also check www.northernflight.com and go to magazine articles pick Today's Chesapeake (if you're still considering a chessie). Both these also have great training articles for future reference.

edited by 98ramtough- fixed hyperlink.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you hunt mostly ducks I would stick to a dog geared for that.(lab, chessie ect) If you want a versatile dog, a pudelpointer, GWP, Drahthaar, anything with a longer coat will work.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've had both chessie, and lab. Both were good dog's, I would vote for a lab. My chessie I had was a hardheaded dog, but he would go through anything for a bird. Only problem was he would fight with other male's, to protective, he hated other grown male's, loved women, and kid's though. If I did'nt have a wife and kid's I would probaly get another chessie, I'm afraid he would end up nipping someone I have about 10-15 kid's wrestling and playing in my yard all summer, hate for the dog to get protective if one of my kid's got hurt! I still would'nt trade my lab I have now for a million bucks. Also I think Wolter's book Game Dog is a great book I used it and I would put my lab up against any other dog.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I would personally pick the Lab but I am not you and if I was I would consider the type of hunting I would be doing and the conditions I would be asking a dog to work under. Then I would make my decision. You have been givin alot of good advice through out this thread but don't be a sheep and follow the flock make up your own mind as to which type/breed of dog suits you and your hunting best. Good luck and good hunting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
duckdog said:
I've had both chessie, and lab. Both were good dog's, I would vote for a lab. My chessie I had was a hardheaded dog, but he would go through anything for a bird. Only problem was he would fight with other male's, to protective, he hated other grown male's, loved women, and kid's though. If I did'nt have a wife and kid's I would probaly get another chessie, I'm afraid he would end up nipping someone I have about 10-15 kid's wrestling and playing in my yard all summer, hate for the dog to get protective if one of my kid's got hurt! I still would'nt trade my lab I have now for a million bucks. Also I think Wolter's book Game Dog is a great book I used it and I would put my lab up against any other dog.
funny, the chessie you speak of in this post sounds exactly like my chocolate lab...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.