Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a dog to grab them ducks for me, but don't know what to get. I know labs do a great job, but I have also heard that Chesapeke Bay Retrievers are great as well. I have a buddy who claims to have had a Vitsla, and says he would never use anything else, but I don't know. What do y'all think?

·
1,455 Posts
Which ever you decide on,Lab,Chessie,Golden,etc...Make sure you get one that comes with good papers.Check out the bloodlines,ask the breeder to see the dogs lineage.Is the dog from hunting or field trial stock?Show dog stock isn't the same as gundog stock.If you know someone in your area that has dogs ask them,if you don't check with a local gun club and see if theres anyone there that works dogs.They could point you in the right direction.Good luck

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'd go with a lab. They learn quick and have no need for expensive hunting schools. The lab I have right now is 4 years old and we threw a sented dummy in a pond a few times and she got the hang of it after that.. And also you need to look at the papers... but you also don't look for pup that you like but the one that likes you... that could make all the difference. Also when you pick a pup up lay it in your arms like a baboy, on it's back, and if it just lays there and is relaxed the dog will be sumbissive and listen to you well. But if it squirms and trys to escape it will rebel and be a pain.... I raise labs myself and find them to be the best dog there tough, durable, great family dogs, exelent retrievers, and love to hunt just as much as you do. Let me know if you choose a lab if you do, my family will have some for sale about july, or augest 2004... Thanks.

Mallyard 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I to would go with the lab.I have a lab/golden mix and they are the best dogs I could ask for they learn fast and want to please.i know they arnt full blood dogs but they are the best :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to hear your positive comments on Labs. Picking up a bitch pup in a couple weeks. Now have two big chessies 4 yrs old ( female 105# and male 135# and not fat) But a fool shot at one of them and now when they see a gun they head under the truck. Have tried every trick I can think of to get them over this. no luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Either are great dogs. We have had both but the last two have been labs. Either you get you wont be disapointed. Both will do anything for you that you ask but a Chessy probably will not do it for anyone else and they are a little pig headed but just great dogs none the less. We even used our Chessies for pheasant hunting and they had no problems.
People say that Chessies are "mean" but they really could not be farther from the truth my parents raised me with Chessies and lefted my siblings and me alone with them and never had to worry about them nipping use or acting agressivly.

Labs are more willing to learn expecally when they get older compared to the Chessy but as I said before Either dog would be a very good dog

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vitslas are retarded worthless dogs. They should be bred for chinese soup and thats about it. (you can tell i had a bad experience with them) Go with a lab. Good all around dogs that are easily trainable. If you get one, check out a dvd called "waterdog" . Good training video.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a male and a female chessie four year old litter mates. I am now getting a lab. The chessies are big, Both over 100# and not fat. Dont get me wrong, they are both very special companions for me but they are house kept and shed year around, are possesive, stubborn,and like to howl(not bark) almost as much as they like water. In all fairness I must
also say they are definitely smart dogs. The rest of the litter of 9 pups are now working border patrol and search and rescue. And NO, I wouldnt get rid of them for the world.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had both, and I'd go with a chessie any day before a lab, labs won't protect anything, and they have less personality then chessies, there just as easy to train, but the more you put into any dog the more you will get out of it, you do nothing you get a crapy dog, end of story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the replies to Woodies question. I will be in the market for a dog next year and am trying to gain as much information as possible. I am currently leaning towards the Chessie, BUT! Are they any good chasing grouse or should I expect to use him as a waterfowler only?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quackersnacker-

I would think a Chessie would be just fine for hunting grouse we hunt a lot of phesants and grouse with our Chessies and they are preatty good dogs they will hunt all day and will not get tired if they are in shape. I will say they do not have as good of nose as alot of pointers like the german Shorthair.

But I would not hesitate on buying one if you are going to hunt both waterfowl and grouse there should not be any problems there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am from Manhattan Kansas and spend alot of time goose and duck hunting in the area. I have hunted with hungarian viszlas for my whole life primarily for upland game. The last few years have been doing alot more waterfowl hunting and am looking to buy a good dog. I am looking for a good lab or Chesepeake bay breeder. Prefereably in the Kansas, Colorado or missouri area. If you guys got any suggestions shoot them my way please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hunted with labs for years and it never seems to fail that the dog amazes me. I have seen labs have double retrieves and even tripplle retrieves on ducks. They are strong and enduring and love to hunt maybe as much as I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking at getting a golden to retrieve ducks in Louisiana rice fields. People tell me the dog has been bred to much for show. I have found a good hunting stock breeder. Is this a good pick or should I look for one of the many lists of lab breeders?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I currently own two chessie females and will never own another breed for my retrieving needs. Labs are great for pets but are to social for my taste. My chessies are not at all mean but they are not real sociable with anybody outside my family. This makes it great when hunting with other people, they are not distracted by wanting attention from one of your hunting buddies. Also, they will not retrieve to anybody but me. I have had a lab and she was a great dog and a good sound retriever, but after having my Chessies and working with them, a chessie is the only dog I will ever own.

·
3,310 Posts
I have had family that had Chessies and they were good dogs. I did not get one as my wife does not like dogs that big and oily. Chessies need to be bathed more IMO, if house kept. I love goldens but that long hair and I don't bush my own hair, I certainly am not brushing the dog!!

My boy is on the left. My wife got him for me on the eatsern shore. Would you belive she got a yellow, because the carpet is beige and his shed hair would not be as noticable. My lab almost trains himself. But the kids are a bad influence but their starting to use my hand signals and all.

So, I think I'll let the kids stay. :cool:

Rob

·
Registered
189 Posts
for the most part chessies and labs shed about the same, chessie's alittle more, but their not oily, and there the same size, there not supposed to be but I've seen most labs about the size of an average chessie, and you could of got one to match your carpet, deadgrass, none of mine match my carpet, I kinda wish I could get one in advantage wetlands :toofunny:

·
3,310 Posts
My dog, after seeing the marsh, comes in a varity of colors. I have driven him home in the BACK of the truck and had people ask how did I get a chocolat lab with a yellow head.

Good thing them short hairs clean easily.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My male chessie is a little under 70lbs. You can get smaller ones, but they are harder to find. Chessies are not for everyone, I will have a hard time desciding when I have to get another dog.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts