Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Location. I have seen ducks decoy to our really crappy looking decoys that were gray cause there was no paint on them. I never blew a call either. I have been in the spot and used no decoying and calling and 3 of us killed limits. If you are in the spot, everything else will fall into place.

PS Decoys can't be that important, cause I saw a guy use hedge apples to supplement his decoy spread, and he killed the pi$$ out of them (and yes he was in "the spot"

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Im with Ks its locaction, then decoys, calling. Calling can scare them away if you dont know what you are doing. I honestly believe calling is not needed except to get thier attention and maybe try and call um back other than that we dont do much. If your in the right spot and got a decoy or two out there well sit and watch here they come. Last day of our first break the woodies were likd leaves falling off the tree in a tornado they just wanted that spot they didnt care if we were picking the decoys up or not. :cool: But of course it was after lefal shooting time and we couldnt do a darn thing :pissed: .

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would have to say location and then decoys... A duck will light into a good looking spread without ANY calling if the location is right. When I was younger and had not learned to call yet... I would go to my grandfather's farm and hide in an irrigation ditch between 2 ricefields and just let the ducks keep coming in. When they started trying to light within gun-range.....WHAAAAM! :smile:

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Where the ducks want to be, then decoys, and lastly the call. We have had a good looking spread and done some calling and had a few ducks come in but the rest headed for an other spot on the feild because thats where they wanted to be. We had to move to that spot to get our limits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.