Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Fields are much better. ALso, alot of water hunting may be done on a roost. If you shoot them off of a roost they may not come back that season. Sometimes you can shoot a field for 2-3 days straight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find hunting fields is usually in my case better hunting than on water
.................the only exception is is your hunting a frozen pond and if u get out there on that ice with enough full bodies the geeses can't resist

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
my limited experience field goose hunting is much better. but i have only been goose hunting a couple of times. hunting in a field was something else...

·
Registered
256 Posts
we normally field hunt but this year everything was flooded and we had our best year to date. have been hunting the blind for ten years so for and it kinda makes me wonder if the geese are starting to want the water more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I enjoy field hunting much more than hunting on water. I think for good, consistent shooting you have a much larger window opportunity for birds over the field throughout the day versus water which I feel has a much smaller window of opportunity. I do like to break things up once in awhile and do something different, but day in and day out I'll take the field hunt!

·
Registered
157 Posts
They are both good but I think they are easier to decoy over water than in fields. The geese just about have to be using the fields you hunt in order to kill em consistently from what I have seen. I rarely hunt fields unless they have been using them or if its next to some water they have been using.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
We hunt both but find that we have the best shooting over water when the geese come back to roost or to loaf and take on some water as all living things require water. With fields if they are using a particular field you can have great shooting but in most cases around here unless you have the time to scout and also hunt fields your best bet is water hunts. Our fields are fairly small compared to fields out west that the geese don't spend a lot of time in any one spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.