Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1760 lowe rouchneck with a 40 hp. tiller, I am hunting marshes with it and want to to to a mud motor. I know that mud buddy has the hyper drive, beaver tail also has a surface drive, and know so does go devil. And finally pro drive.
My question is which will hold up and preform better the belt drivin surface drives or the pro drive.
Also the pro drive only make's a 27 without going with twin's the others have up to a 35 hp.
What do you think ?.

· Registered
1 Posts
The mud buddy is by far the better motor. The problem with the pro drive is that you can't lift it out of the water manually while you are driving. Mud buddy is very large, they have many different sizes, and they have an excellent product. I have a 31 hp on a 1754 Gator Trax and it goes about 27 mph.

· Registered
157 Posts
Al of the major mud motor manufacturers, gatortail, mud buddy, prodive, go devil, offer the 35 (carb) and 37 (efi) Briggs engines. Gatortail is by far the most popular of them all. I personally have a 35 gtr and love it.

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Mudbuddy has awful customer service and numerous issues with their motors (look no further than the sport v). The reason they are popular is advertising, not quality. They all run the same powerhead, but mudbuddy mods them prior to seasoning heads so their heads tend to show more valve leakage over time.

I like gatortail and prodrive (depending on the environment). GT and mudbuddy run the same powerhead so the same mods can be done, but you can be much smarter and more customized about how the mods are done by going with a gatortail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
3,586 Posts
bus said:
I have a 1760 lowe rouchneck with a 40 hp. tiller, I am hunting marshes with it and want to to to a mud motor. I know that mud buddy has the hyper drive, beaver tail also has a surface drive, and know so does go devil. And finally pro drive.
My question is which will hold up and preform better the belt drivin surface drives or the pro drive.
Also the pro drive only make's a 27 without going with twin's the others have up to a 35 hp.
What do you think ?.
Prodrive makes a 36 efi.

· Registered
712 Posts
"GT and mudbuddy run the same powerhead so the same mods can be done, but you can be much smarter and more customized about how the mods are done by going with a gatortail."

Mud Buddy also offers non-modified motors, so the same type of modifications can be done regardless of whether it is Gatortail, Mud Buddy, Go-Devil, etc...I agree with you on Mud Buddy's crappy reputation for service. I have a Sport H and speak from experience, but the local dealer has much more control over the level of service than headquarters does. I would stay away from the Sport V or H, but the HDR's reputation for reliability is much better. In California, we have hardly any good dealers, regardless of manufacturer. Fortunately for me I found a Mud Buddy dealer two hours away that took care of any complaints I previously had. If you have a good local dealer, you will get good service.

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah the 35 and 37s are stock powerhead so yes you're correct there. The rest are a bit concerning in my opinion.

The local dealer is a big help, but the other side is if you have to call mudbuddy/bps for help, or a part is not in stock, good luck. Also heard horror stories about warranty work they offer.

· Banned
6,658 Posts
Bluesky2012 said:
bus said:
What do you think ?.
Prodrive makes a 36 efi.

Yep, they've made some advancements in the last 14 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.