Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay guys I need some help.

I wont to buy a duck call for the next sesion, but have no clue of what to buy. Right now i use a Hunter's Specialties Diamond Wood Duck Call. This is a duble reed and I have very little time with a singal.

So the question is, what do you use and how well dose it work for you.

I like the sound of the Orignal RNT call, but I have never used a singal wile hunting and i know nothing about the Zink calls. I have a Zink SR-1 for goose that I love. But I hear bad things about their duck calls.

Also I am doing this to see what works for open water, marsh, and the felds that I hunt in. Next year is the first year that I will hunt in a feld. So I need somthing is going to work in one or all.

The H.S. is gurate for the marsh but not to so grate for the open water.

·
Registered
504 Posts
murdock said:
What do you mean? :huh: That I should buy a RNT? If so what should I ecspect from the call?
What I mean is...out of the three calls you mentioned the RNT WILL be right at home whether in the marsh or in the field, if YOU can operate the call to it's potential. If you cannot well...

I cannot comment on the H.S as i've had no experience with them and the zink calls don't fit me. So for me the RNT will be the best choice.

THIN MAN

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have no experience with H.S. calls but can give you this...
I love the Zink XR-2 double reed- not a fan of their single reed Power Hen- havent tried their double reed power hen. The xr-2 is very very ducky and doesn't stick- takes more air pressure and a very very small opening with your lips- not a ton of range, but great for working ducks. The RNT Original in acrylic is one of my new toys and I like it- if you present your air from the diaphragm and are good at using your throat to control your airflow then I would vouch for the RNT Original over all else due to the range that it has and the fact you already have a double reed.

Also check out the Echo Timber- not a highballing call but very user friendly setup (high reed set) and easy to make sound like a duck

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Echo duck calls. Hands down.

If you're new to the sport, get one of his doubles. He makes as good a call as anyone in the business. I have several RNT's and like them, but when I go hunting, I carry the Echos because they fit my individual style of calling. They're probably the 2nd most popular custom call (behind RNT) used by 60 day/year hunters in the state of Arkansas.

http://www.echocalls.com/

·
Registered
701 Posts
Murdok, I love the RNT origional. It is a great call and yes it has all the range you could want from lows to highs. I prefer a single reed because they generally give you a bigger range. If you like your HS you could check out the Black Ice double reed. A buddy of mine blows it and sounds amazing on it.

I would also suggest a Buck Gardner Buck Brush or Tall Timber in acrylic spit tech.

Best thing to do is just get your hands on every call you can and pic which one you like the most.

·
Registered
418 Posts
murdock said:
Also I am doing this to see what works for open water, marsh, and the felds that I hunt in. Next year is the first year that I will hunt in a feld. So I need somthing is going to work in one or all.
I've been in the same spot. After 20 years of hunting rice, I moved to Idaho, where all I've done is field hunting. The sound just doesn't carry, so I went and bought one of the loudest calls I could find.

JJ Lares hybird. I couldn't find a call that sounds better at a really high volume.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
murdock...no disrespect...but plz learn how to type or spell. A word here and there mis-spelled is no biggie....but every second word you type is...well....not right. Anyways...people won't take you seriously....so....you know what I mean.
Absolutely nothing wrong with any of the calls you mentioned.
Go to a Cabela's, BPS, Macks, Rodger's, SWH...and the like, and try different calls out. What I sound like on a call, doesn't mean you will sound the same. The samething with ducks or geese. They all sound different......so go with what fits you best....and go from there.
Good Luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
647 Posts
goosehunter64 said:
murdock...no disrespect...but plz learn how to type or spell. A word here and there mis-spelled is no biggie....but every second word you type is...well....not right. Anyways...people won't take you seriously....so....you know what I mean.
Absolutely nothing wrong with any of the calls you mentioned.
Go to a Cabela's, BPS, Macks, Rodger's, SWH...and the like, and try different calls out. What I sound like on a call, doesn't mean you will sound the same. The samething with ducks or geese. They all sound different......so go with what fits you best....and go from there.
Good Luck. :thumbsup:
That which is in bold is grammatically or punctually incorrect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.