Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some help in buying a 10 Gauge reloader for Waterfowl hunting. I have reloaded a few shells but only have a limited amount of knowledge about it. I am also interested in reloading some of the alternative non toxic shot thats out. Even loads that most of you use are welcome. Just the idea of making your own loads, for hunting especially, is rewarding. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
80 Posts
have you ever considered roll crimping? Makes for a more consistent crimp/pressure/velocity and costs about $30 for the tool. Takes a little more time in that each shell is basically hand weighed/loaded, but thats not a bad thing really......forces consisttency between loads. Finished product looks real nice too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey widgeon what is the weight of the shot charge and how fast are you pushing it with those roll crimped loads. I have thought about roll crimping if it would give me more than what I can get out of what I got now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Tengoose, I am currently shooting 1675 fps @2 3/4 in and 1710 from 3" in twelve gauge loads. Any load you shoot with a fold crimp you can load with a roll crimp. One advantage is especially in the shorter shells is that you can get more payload in a roll crimp, because you dont need as much hull for the crimp. Advantages to roll crimping are a more consistent pressure on the charge (so each shot maintains a more consistent vel and chamber pressure) and you get a better seal against the elements. One disadvantage is that you should really start with new hulls, because its real tough to get a good roll crimp on a previously fold crimped hull.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here is the loader than I have, and it is the Cat's @$$.

( http://www.reloaders.com/ls1000.html )

I can reload AA Dove loads to the tune of 400-500rds per hour. Relaoding 3" Steel is about the same, maybe a touch slower. 3 1/2" is closer to 200-300rds per hour. Longer shells creates more pressure, and is a little slower. Looking to get a Foot Pedal Hydraulic System

( http://www.reloaders.com/hydraulics.html )

very soon. I reload for 5-6 people in my family, so I need to produce in the time I have available. They have them in the 10ga & 12ga, plus I bought the 20ga Die Kit to reload 20's. cooter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.