Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,655 Posts
Just a question. Do any of you reload? The 10 is capable of much more than most people think. In truth with reloading, the 3.5 12 doesn't hold a candle in the wind to the 10! I bet most people don't know this but the 10 is actually capable of 2 1/2 oz loads of lead shot. If you want to see a turkey die with no flapping hit one with a 2 1/2 oz load of #5's at 1250 fps. I have also just found a recipe for a 1 7/8 oz steel load. Its not no 1500 fps load but at the right range and with the right choke you could certainly put out a pattern birds couldn't fly through. :salude:

shocktroop. Don't decide on what others say. When everything goes right you could kill as many ducks with a 410 as any other gun. Its just like another thread on this form about mossbergs. There are those who love them and swear by them and those who hate them. Its all a mind set if you feel comfortable shooting a 10, use it. Just take the time to lean what you and the gun are capable of and use it within your limits. If price is a factor and you still want to hunt with the ten, get into reloading. You can cut the cost of shells in half, and load a better selection of shells for type of hunting you do. (i.e. 11/4 to 17/8 oz steel loads or 11/4 to 21/2 oz lead loads 11/4 to 21/8 oz bismuth loads) :thumbsup:

· Registered
3,655 Posts
You don't need field loads for the ten. If he gets enough practice in with his o/u or another shot gun, and gets a 10 that fits him correctly he will not need much practice with the new one. (Although if he reloads the 11/4 oz load out of the heavier ten feels just like shooting a 11/8 oz load out of a 12) The great shooters around the country can pick up any gun off the shelf and shoot them well after a couple of shots. The reason being they have had enough practice and experience to follow the basic rules of shooting. Keeping the head down, the proper lead, follow through, range of the target, capibility of the guage and load, etc. So if to answer his question there is no reason for him not to get a 10. The ten can offer him denser patterns and longer range if he has the ability, or improves his ability to shoot. And if I recall correctly he is looking for a waterfowl gun not an all around gun.

As for the 410 killing as may birds as any other gun, this is true in the hands of a shooter who knows how to correctly use one. I know plenty of people who use the smaller gauges for the challenge. But they do have the ability and experience to effectively kill birds. They know the range and capability of themselves and the gun. In fact I'll bet you in there hands, on average, they kill a heck of a lot more ducks than you average pass shooter!

I can also tell you (around here) most people reload first, to save cost. Second to build a better load. Of course this is in my neck of the woods, which is not the wealthiest around.

I say, don't listen to others because I believe you can make a better choice for yourself if you research and find the information you need to get what you want. People are to bias to listen to in these matters. Proven facts and your own feeling are better to go off of, not some one else's option.

Of course as ironic as it is this is still is only just my opinion. :toofunny:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.