Side-by-Side24.44%
Semi-auto2453.33%
Pump1840.00%
Other00.00%

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answer the poll and then post, a reason why you like that type.
Post weather you like 12 gauge or 20, or another gauge.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I like shooting my auto because you can get 3 shots off before they get out of range. I also have a pump the only reason I like about it because it won't jam up like a auto, but my auto hasn't yet. I shoot a 12 gauge 3.5 inch because if I had a 20 it wouldn't bring the big canada geese down.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I voted auto for ducks, but it depends on the situation.

I like the auto for lower recoil so I can stay on the birds and shoot a little faster, and the recoil of the heavy stuff is reduced. I shot Beretta 390 silver mallard and 391 Xtrema and like the function of being able to take shells out of the chamber and mag with the cut off function.

I like the pump for extreme conditions. I have always had a soft spot for mod. 12's and 870 WM's.

I love O/U's but mine are nice so they only go out ducking when the conditions are good and I won't be trashing them. I prefer the O/U for every other type of shooting besides water fowling and turkeys. I shot the best percentage of shots to kills when I only have two shots and love having two different choke constrictions.

I use the 12's for the waterfowl and turkey because of the versatility and the higher shot capacity with steel for ducks and big heavy loads for turkey. I do all my other hunting with 20, 28, and .410.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah for duck hunting i like to use the semi auto. Over under and side by side i like to use for skeet and trap shooting.

Thanks for the posts and poll answers

·
Registered
450 Posts
pump for reliability

·
Registered
431 Posts
Learned to duck hunt on a 870 WM. It never gave me a problem. I did get a Hastings barrel with interchangeable chokes. Switched to a semi auto while hunting the clubs. Just picked up a Franchi 912 3.5 inch. The semi auto was smoother and like mallardhunter said it was faster. I shot two triples this year partly because of the smoothness coming off of one bird to the next.

Good question!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
A semi I've shot semis for over 30 years now. First the Rem 1100, then the S&W 1000 waterfowlers special, then a Win SX2. Gas ops have a lot less kick than pumps. I dislike bruising my shoulder which can happen with 3.5" mag loads when over a box are shot while hunting combo duck/geese in CA or snows in spring. I have that 3rd shot too if there is a cripple from the 1st or 2nd shot so I can dispatch him.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Pump for the reliability. I only had it jam once and it was this year with geese flying over and it was 6 degrees and my gun was frozen to my glove also. So I think it got some ice in the action or something like that.

I would love a semi but my buddy had a 20 and a 12 both jam this year while out

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
My nane says it all. I love to see semi's jam when it's below freezing. It gives me good reason to shoot thier ducks.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Just more use to it. Used to rabbit hunt alot 300 to 500 a season and all I used was a Modle 37 Ithaca 12ga mod choke and no. 5 shot. Always had rabbit hounds and still have one but don't hunt her any more due to her age.

·
1,456 Posts
My #1 gun is a Mossberg pump 12 gauge 3",this gets the nod more often than not.I also use my RRL all weather s/s 12 gauge o/u for jump shoots on small water.Once in a while I'll use my BPS 10 gauge 3 1/2" for big birds.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like my side by side 20, but its expensive shooting it, I have to shoot bismouth because it has fixed chokes. It points and swings nicely, but I usually take out the semi auto 12 because its cheaper and it can take a harder beating.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yesh i agree the sidebyside is a better shooting gun and more smoothly, but as every one knows... we all need are three shots in more times than one :laughing: so the smooth shot of the semi auto is a good compramise, plus it is a lot cheaper as you said.

My semi-auto hasn't jab up yet- i guess you just have to keep it clean and in good conditiong, but if it jams it is part of the sport gentlemen, enjoy it and watch the birds fly off just like with fishing. You catch some and you miss some, and you catch some(call them in-ducks) and you have to let them go.

Part of being a Sportsman and savign some for others... even though none of us wants to :tounge:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.