Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for anyone who has heard the united cry of breeders of "field trial" Labs...the cry of "them show dogs are worthless when it comes to hunting!!"

let me prove you wrong... :thumbsup:

Here is a couple of "show dogs" after a modest 2 days of work in the eastern part of our state.

from left to right is, Tug (aka swamp puppy), Gracie and Sky. Sky, btw, is 11 years old and still put up her share of the birds.

here is Gracie in action

and here is my boy Tug in action.

oh yeah...they also get ducks from time to time....

:thumbsup: :salude:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is one of my show dogs
If you take the time to train a dog right you will get great results Yes my labs are not rockets off the line in HT's but they do a very good job. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Im only a few hours from swampy, I can see a drive coming up next fall.

Here is my honest oponion about show dogs. Can they hunt? Absolutely! Do they hunt as hard as most top notch HT of FT dogs? No. I do not like the shorter style of show labs. They are good looking dogs, but where I hunt the belly of the dog would be dragging on snags all the time. I like the tall legged guys. JMO Mike.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
98 - that was a hunt preserve out in Heppner. Rolling Hills i think it is called. we shot those on 4 hunts over the course of 2 days. a morning and afternoon hunt each day. there are a lot of wild birds out that way as well..you just have to find a place to hunt them as most of the land is private. this isn't you're usual "put 'em down and blast 'em" type of preserve though. the birds don't hold long and probably a third of those birds were taken after flushing wild and flying 200 yards up the hillsides.

as for the pointing..no, my dog doesn't really point all that well. i am sure that with training he could do it, but it's pretty much just a "track em and flush em" affair.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah...we could do that.

you guys want to do the preserve hunt thing or try to find them little buggers on the public lands? maybe set something up for next fall or spring? early march is a great time to be there. plus, it is a great release from the "i miss duck season" blues.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Nice pics. And yes some show dogs still have good hunting abilities/instincts. Others have had most of the hunt bred out of them although if one takes any breed of dog they can still find some amount of the pack/ hunt instinct in those animals how ever subdued it may be it still remains.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Just found this post...

My father have a Irish Setter show dog with "Papers" that he took into the field for
Ringneck and D&G...........

"Corkey" even got a write up in the SF cronical by one of its writers.....Erini said he had never seen a dog
that loved its master so much and retreived and pointed birds like it was second nature. He did say that
the only problem was that all birds were retreived back to Dr Fellows, though.

Good day .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.