Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is hunting in flooded corn not baiting?

I'm considering planting some corn for food plots in our marsh. I understand that if the corn is not cut this is legal?

Frank

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I am not sure but it may fall in the catagory of food plots. In some areas it may well be looked upon as intentional baiting as this is not a plant such as wild rice or millet that could occur there naturally. You might want to check with your local DNR as to the legality of it.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
State rules can be more strict than Federal ones, but generally speaking the Federal (USFWS) rules are the more strict than state rules when it comes to waterfowl.

I know if the corn is still standing and a field floods or if the corn was harvested and it flodos, it is legal to hunt it being it is "normal" AG practice. The key is the definition of what is NOT normal AG prcatice. For example in ND the farmers "rolled" the standing corn, thus the USFWS had deaemed these field last fall as "baited".
Best to check with the enforcement div of the USFWS if in doubt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I understand some Fedaralees stoped some guys from oregon because some stocks had fallen into a pond they were hunting. They gave them the treatment.

C DUbb

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks gang

our state connie agent is a real dupty dog so I planned on checking with her before we did any planting. The manager of a successful WMA recomended that we just dish the marsh and that would promote smart weed to grow. But in the refuse part of his WMA they have food plots of corn.

our marsh is small about 70 arces, in 2 pools the larger one is about 50 arces the smaller one (north pool) about 20. for the last few years we have done very well early in the season for the first 2 to 3 weeks then it slows way down. I am assumeing this is because what little food we have for the ducks is gone and or the hunting pressure. I'm sure it is a combo of both, after we kill or run off the local ducks we are not attrative to the migraters, without food why would they want to hang around our marsh.

I'm hoping that some of the gang on this board will have some helpfull input on this problem. also water is not a problem we have good ***** and a large pump with a good well we flood to more than a foot deep on average.

Frank

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
MOBOTTOMBOY said:
that we just dish the marsh
But in the refuse part of his WMA
I'm hoping that some of the gang on this board will have some helpfull input on this problem as we have good *****
Frank
that we just Dish the marsh. Know wonder there are no birds there. :laughing:
That a damn shame using a WMA for a refuse dump.
Helpful input on ***** from the gang here. Son you are barking up a tree where you just do not have a chance. You better stick with the straight gals for a better chance of getting a female friend with beneifits.

:toofunny: Sorry Frank, but I could not resist! :tounge: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
i was scratching my head all the way through that post. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Lots of good ***** around here too. :toofunny:

It is my understanding that in our area you can plant corn or other grains and still be legal to hunt as long as a certain percentage of the crop is "harvested". you then fall into a normal farming category and not one of "baiting". if you "roll" your fields (plow them under so the corn is still there and not harvested) or just allow the corn to stand in the field then you are not "farming" and it is considered baiting. one large WMA in our area has a very agressive food plot planting program, but harvest a large portion of it prior to hunting season.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Swamp Puppy said:
just allow the corn to stand in the field then you are not "farming" and it is considered baiting.
That is a new one for me. I know that in the fall and if the standing corn is flooded, you can hunt it where I hunt for waterfowl. And if not flooded but used for a winter food plot, it is legal to hunt it for deer, pheasants, etc. too here.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
it was my understanding that in this area a certain percentage of the plot needed to be harvested in order for it to be legal. the remaining crops can be left standing and still not be considered baiting.

ie: you see a lot of fields with the centers harvested, but the 12-15 feet around the perimeter of the field is left standing and that is where the blinds are located.

i will have to look up the actual law one of these days...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
most likely. i haven't looked into the specific state laws concerning baiting in Oregon, but here is a link to the US Fish and Wildlife services laws pertaining to the baiting of waterfowl. it's a good read and written in plain english instead of "leaglize" like most things are.

as it states here..these are the federal guidlines and there may be additional regulations for each individual state.

http://www.le.fws.gov/waterfowl_baiting.htm

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Flooded corn is bait, but it is legal here in Missouri and Kansas. As long as you don't knock it down or remove it from the stalks.

I wish they would outlaw it because there is a guy about a mile to the west of me with about 150 acres of flooded corn. It looks like a refuge over there all season. On sunny days, I just sit back and watch them flood into that field.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.