Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my BPS-10 and my partner swears by his SP-10. After watching him make shots that I couldn't for a couple of years, I bought my first 10 gauge. I finished the end of duck season with it and absolutely had a blast hunting Snows with it in February.

The shells are a bit more..
Under certain conditions it can be too loud..

All I know is that I have fewer followup shots and better range than with my 12 gauge.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I used to have SP10, sold several years ago. I just had too many problems adjusting between the light weight 12 and the heavy cumbersome 10. So I got a SX2 Win which shoots 3.5" shells which is the same basic load asa the 10 ga mag. That way Ithere is no adjustment as I use the same SX2 for all my hunting needs. Bottom line is my shells per birds has gotten better as a result.

Died in the wool goose hunter's love those 10s though....

·
1,455 Posts
My BPS-10 is a great gun for geese and seaducks,never gives me trouble. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi ALL

Ballisically the 12 guage is superior---the 10 G is a great noise maker and attempts at skybusting are frequently seen with those using it.

It make a great talking gun at any discussion--due to the lack of popularity only.

Ask Tom Roster of Winchester fame--2 3/4 in shells and 1 oz of shot and 1500 fps plus,will get all the birds you want---or need!!

Good hunting!!

TOM

·
Registered
189 Posts
here's a thought, I havent looked at it allot but, I was looking at a load book a while ago, and the 12 ga 3.5 held more or the same and when it held the same it went faster, like you could fit more in the hull, than the 10 ga 3.5, don't sound right I know, that's why I looked at it a bunch, I was at the store the other day, and the same thing, two of the same shells, only difference, the 12 ga one had more shot in it, same fps, you'd think it was backwards, I have a 10 ga. but don't shoot it that much, too heavy and slow to point, shells cost too much, I normally shoot 2.75's or 3's anyways. can somebody tell me why this is??

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hopefully this won't be the last word on this topic. The 12ga 3.5 was a gimmick created to save O.F. Mossberg's share of the market in the late "80's. Just read a Browning brochure - the 12 3.5, it states, has nearly the power of the 10ga. "Nearly?" Why settle? As for skybusting - not this hunter. In fact, since I purchased my 10ga, I've passed up more shots than ever. Experience? Perhaps. One thing is for sure. My shots count; I don't need follow up shots. Rock on, SteveinTn. Till they stop making 10ga hulls, I'm stickin' w/ it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I don't need to take a cannon out there. I will just call them close and kill them with my $.35/shot 3" 12 gauge. My personal opinion on a 10 gauge is that it is a crutch for people to lean on. They can't call them in close so they try smoking them at 45 yards. That is just my opinion guys so don't get all bent outta shape.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:laughing:

One guy lumps 10 gauge users together as sky busters, another says they can't call. Holy cow, can't someone shoot something different than you and not have to worry about getting back-handed? So if I know a kid that shoots a single shot 20 gauge at ducks, does that make him a better caller than you? I suppose John Stephens, Barnie Calef, or Todd Copley use a sling shot or a baseball bat?

There are times when using my 10 gauge is not an option. Crowded blind, pit, boat, or anytime I hunt with someone with tender ears (I'm southern therefore I have good manners). Early wood duck and teal season because I want to eat what I'm shooting and those things sure move quick. Certain WMA's where they aren't allowed. But beyond that, hunting is about maximizing your effectiveness and enjoying every aspect of your time from when you wake up until you throw your stuff back in the truck. As long as it is LEGAL, and it ADDS to the ENJOYMENT OR EFFECTIVENESS of the hunt for an INDIVIDUAL, I say go for it. I won't give you any crap.

I hope nobody gets their feathers ruffled over this, but I've come to realize that 'internet' hunters are an arrogant bunch.

Of course, this is all just my opinion…

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
HAha, good post Steve.

I will be the first on here to admitt that the ONLY reason I do not shoot a 10 guage at geese is because I can't afford it. I won't knock the BPS10, or say that my Cheap nova 3 1/2 shoots any better, or that 2 3/4 shot will kill the same ammount of geese in all situations. I simply dont shoot a 10 because I am too cheap to fork out the $$ for the gun and shells.

Am I gelous of the guys with a BPS10 when I am out in a field hunting geese? YES

:salude:

·
Registered
696 Posts
same here big 98, if i had the money to spend on the gun and ammo and i reloaded, id do it, ive got a pretty tough shoulder, and i dont know how much the autos kick, but i dont think itd be too bad, if im wrong, feel free to correct me :withstupid:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's some food for thought... .731 versus .755. That is the difference between a 12 gauge bore and a 10 gauge bore.A few years ago I met a fellow who has hunted geese for at least 60 or so years. He was hunting with an old Ithica auto. My buddy had just bought a S.B.E. and I was trying to decide if I wanted a 10 or a 3-1/2 12 ga. I thought why is this gentleman, who has to be at least 75 yrs young, why is he packing a 10 pound shot gun around? And what he told me is something no one else has brought up. PATTERNING. He said when a Mfg. produces a 3-1/2 12 ga. auto with a 10 ga. bore barrel he would give up his 10 and buy a 12. He brought up the Mossberg 835 ulti-mag and said Mossberg was on the right track with their overbore barrel, but he was too old and set in his ways to shoot a pump. I recently bought a Mossberg 935, patterned it and it honestly made me a believer in his "wisdom"

·
Registered
352 Posts
donell67 said:
10 gauges are awesome.i will have another one someday but they are spendy.
Ok when was the last time a duck/ goose hunter worried about .35c a shell to .50c a shell ? There is a time a place for both 10 & 12 but if your trying to compair the two under waterfowl steel loads there is no comparison. The 10 as said previous has a bigger bore which in turn does not cause a ringing effect with steel. The obvious thing is the 10 will create less chamber pressure with fast steel and everyone nows fast steel is what kills.So if you have less chamber pressuers better patternabilty and more speed you will have better sucess in the field regardless if its a blue bird day with 50+ yrd shots or a great day at 15- yrds.

·
4,554 Posts
I agree with several post here. The 12ga is at very least equal to the 10 ga. I have had both and will stick with the 12ga due to the much lighter weight and less costly ammo. I also agree that the ones that often use a 10 ga think they can shoot geese at 100yds.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
100 yards! That is ridiculous! I wait until they are within 95 yards. Stinking 'sky busters', givin us all a bad name!

:pissed:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I could just learn to call, maybe I could get them into 12 gauge range, 75 yards.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I am convinced that the ducks get wind of my labs stinky butt... This causes me to never get them in close, they get close, she farts, they flare... Its a viscous cyle!

:yes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stick a duck call in her butt! She can't sound any worse than me!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like them all. I can use a light shotgun with lots of recoil or a heavy shotgun with a good shove. I find I hit better with the 10's due to the guns own mass keeping my fallow through going after the shot. For snap shooting at Woodies going through the swamp, I prefer my 12. Either way just remember to lead your target enough to make you uneasy. Better to miss in front than behind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts