Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that RSI only has 2 loads for the 2 3/4 WinAA hulls? I just loaded a few with #2 steel, and (#BB steel #107). They seemed to hold the powder, and shot just fine, they also crimped great. I did notice that the pressures were a little higher on them than GM recipes.

I loaded RSI recipe #107 & 108 repectively. I think #107 will pattern better, as I've had poor luck with RSI loads that have the felt spacer. I'm also anticipating them working better out of my Rem 870 than the SX2. The RSI wad has terrible blow by, in my SX2 with its backbored barrel, even when I flare the bottom of the wad to try and get better gas seals.

B

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
The varience is caused by using the W209 new blue box primer with STEEL. You can sub Cheddite primers with STEEL and get much better uniformity. Ned S who has done primer repeatibility studies.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
What volume do you have. I have loads 1, 12, 24, 25, 26, 107, 108, 122, 123, 126, and 127. If you just want to use Steel powder and big shot then you are limited because of case volume to 1 oz or less. You just can't get more steel in there and powder to push it. If you want more speed you can drop the shot weight with a felt under shot like load 108, but use big steel. They say you can reduce shot weight for speed and not pressure increase and I load the shot size I want regardless of what it says as long as I do not exceed the powder and shot weight, get a good crimp, and don't use more than one felt under. I get great patterns from loads with felts under, but I don't mess with felts over. I don't see the need and wonder about patterning with a felt in front.

If you are anywhere near me I have 800x and Gold Medal hulls if you want to try them. Gold medals have more volume so you can do a little more.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I tested #107 last weekend with 1's and had exceptional consistency. Ned's hatred of blue box win209's aside. 8 shells, all between 1542 and 1561 fps. I still prefer gold medals, but I've never had any trouble with AA's.

Michigander - I shoot (and test) a new backbored super x2 and have absolutely no problems with rsi wads with it? Are you shooting it a little hotter than the recipe? I've noticed you only have so much play with sam1's before you start getting some odd results.

Ned - I'd love to chat with you sometime about your friends primer substitution tests. The first couple loads I tried subbing rios for 209A's had comparable results, but after much more extensive testing I've foung them to be an average of 74 fps slower when substituted. That's from 16 recipes and 80 shells fired. Every shell was slower, every time.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Jonmac is reporting that the latest production run of W209's are as good as the old white box ones. I only had a few of the first produced blue box which were very, very inconsistant, like 900 to 1700 fps spread of Nine loads twice. Ned S

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
My Cheddites were running +/- 25 fps diff from the W209 white box, depending on the load. That's back when the new W209 blue boxes come out. There were several types of Cheddites available. The black tiip ones were not as potent as the red tips. I have mostly red tips with a couple hundred black tips. They are all suppose to be red tips being sold in this country now. My favorite 3" load is RSI 131 with a 2 3/4 NTC shotcup and Cheddite primers with steel BB's. This load runs 1640 fps in a standard barrel. The NTC shotcups are about 1/8" longer than todays 2 3/4 shotcup.
Jonmac did some testing on the Rio primer and said they were very close to the Feds. Maybe in some loads there not and we will have to boost the powder a grain. I plan on using them in my Rio hulls. I still have about 500 Fed 209 A primers to use in Lightning Steel recipe #1. I'll do some Rio Chrony work this summer. I'll use my 11-87. Ned S

·
Registered
201 Posts
ohsay said:
I tested #107 last weekend with 1's and had exceptional consistency. Ned's hatred of blue box win209's aside. 8 shells, all between 1542 and 1561 fps. I still prefer gold medals, but I've never had any trouble with AA's.
I had the same results as NED, inconsistent velocity.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Ned S said:
I'll do some Rio Chrony work this summer. I'll use my 11-87. Ned S
I'll be curious to hear your results. I tested a few more today and the results were even worse. All over the place. Everything else was spot on, but my rio sub reloads were +/- up to 175 fps and still considerably slower on the whole. I never have consistency problems with any of my loads, so I'm a little frustrated by these rio primered loads. I'm going to go one more round on a warmer day, but I've pretty much ruled them out for cold weather hunting at this point.

I wonder why that would be with the AA's. :huh:

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Jonmac said today that his check showed Rio,s to be very close to Fed 209A's. He said he would dig out the data and send to me. In Lightning steel Recipe #1 Don parker got a +10 fps with a decrease in pressure with the Rio in place of the 209A. Ned S

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
No disrespect to your friends Ned, but I strongly encourage you to do your own testing.

Or send me some of their Rios. lol They're obviously different from the ones I have.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I will check and see if the RIO's are temperature sensitive this summer. I shoot them with a CSD or SS shotcup and just the primer in my 935 recording the velocities. I will put some in the freezer at 6F and fire them vs ambient temp this summer. I do this in my back yd shooting them against the fence. I keep them in an insulated container that was put in the freezer also. I've done this to test full loads also. Then I add a piece of dry ice to transport them. Ned S

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
In the testing I did, I could never get #108 win AA to be consistent no matter which primer I used. The XX lot zumbers blue box wins have been very consistent in my loads with fed gm and rem green 3" hulls. I have very tight std dev and within 25 fts of published velocities.

After talking with RSI about the issues they said in thier testing they found that sometimes the wad gets stuck in the tapered hull and that results in the lower velocities. To fit the wad in with the powder on #108 I had to put some decent pressure to get it seated which probably caused it to stick. Ned, do you usually use pressure to seat wads? If so, that could be part of the cause of your nasty variation. For those that #107 is working, are you putting pressure to seat the wad?

In my opinion, we have a interaction of the early win blue box and the AA hulls. I don't loak AA anymore. There are a lot better hulls out there.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I get consistancy with AA hulls, Chedite primers and STEEL propellant. I'm now using AA hulls with a 7/8 oz load which are running around 1700 fps, I think. I'll chrony them this summer. I put 60-80 lbs force on all my loads. Ned S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts