Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester 1300 12 ga pump w/ turkey choke for turkey hunting........will this shoot steel shot and would I most likely need a different choke. I use a Rem 1187 for ducks but would have this for a backup plan. All advice & experience is appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
This is more appropriate as a choke question than shotguns so I moved it here.
If i understand you correctly, you wish to use this as a backup gun for ducks - in that case, the turkey choke is way too tight for steel and ducks from my understanding. You would want to use a different choke in that situation, depending on the distance of shots which are typical for your hunting situation and the load you are using.
-Erik

·
Registered
119 Posts
Say....I got a few old 'Win-Chokes'...and no longer have a 1300.

I'd sure sell you a mod and what ever else I have if you like....I'll dig in my bag-o-chokes tonight.

PM if interested...I'll let you have them cheap...I can't use them anymore anyway....

Lanthanide.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It depends one when it was made. Chances are likely that it will, but if the barrel is not marked as such, you should take it to a gun smith to be sure. With the proper choke, and the confirmation that it is designed to shoot steel then yes.
-Erik

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, ALL winchester 1300s are capable of shooting steel through the correct choke. Winchester 1200s were made from well before steel shot requirements up until the advent of screw in chokes, and then came the 1300. Even the 1200s will shoot steel just fine, and the 'Magnum', 3" version was a decent duck gun. I may have an extra 1300 Winchoke barrel....now that I think about it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
patternmasters arent a good turkey choke anyway. i shoot hevishot at turkeys. when you are only getting one single shot all season, i cant justify shooting anything cheaper... for the 12ga, cabelas has "hevishot" choke tubes at real reasonable prices. get one from them or carlsons. they also throw excellent turkey patterns with lead, but lead just plain sucks compared to hevi for turkey patterns. get a box of hevishot turkey loads in #6 shot and the hevishot choke... thats about as good as you will ever get unless u take a 22...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a 1200 and a 1300, and have had several other 1300s over the years....shot lots of ducks with them. The 1300 barrels will shoot steel just fine through the proper chokes. A premium, extended choke, with a good parallel section will help the patters with the Winchoke/Invector system they use. Terror chokes, Trulocks, etc....stick with un-ported, non-stripper types as a courtesy to your buddies' hearing and to be more forgiving with load selections. The 1200/1300 is probably the most underrated and trash-talked pump out there, but there are 1200s from Vietnam that are still pulling duty with our service members today. :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.