Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new SX4 a couple months ago. Up until now I have only shot 2 3/4" target loads through it. Goose hunting last weekend, I discovered that my 3" shells were hanging up when manually ejecting them from the bottom of the gun. When I press the tab the shell partially ejects from the tube and then becomes stuck against the carrier. It's almost like the shell is to long to make the angle out of the tube and past the carrier. It's doing it about 30% of the time. I'm not sure if it did it from the beginning or not as I was only shooting 2 3/4" loads for skeet so there was a lot more room to work with. I called Winchester this morning. The guy didn't care to put much thought or effort into solving the issue and just said to send it in. I'm going to take the weekend to look it over before shipping it off. Lead times on warranties and repairs are running about 3 weeks right now so I should have it back before things get to crazy. Any ideas on what to take a look at? I have torn the gun down except for the tube a couple of times. I can't really imagine the spring or plug in the tube being an issue but I am going to check them out this weekend. Other than that the gun is clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The shell could be hanging up on the shell stop. Check for a burr on the shell stop or mag tube. If it were me I would remove the mag spring and plug to check for the burrs then clean and lightly lube the tube and parts before reassembly.

·
12,393 Posts
z51 said:
The shell could be hanging up on the shell stop. Check for a burr on the shell stop or mag tube. If it were me I would remove the mag spring and plug to check for the burrs then clean and lightly lube the tube and parts before reassembly.
x2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I have taken this thing apart and checked for burrs multiple times. I've also checked the alignment and positioning on just about anything and everything there is. It all checks out. I was able to find a single review online complaining about the same issue. That fella stated that the same mechanical parts were used in both the 3.5 inch model and the 3.0 inch model. The only thing that was different was the chamber. This caused major problems getting a 3.5" shell in and out of the tube via the bottom of the gun. That made me realize that I hadn't even tried a 3.5" shell. Sure enough, a 3.5" shell will barely even make the turn to get in the tube. 3" catches occasionally. 2.75" has no issues. I called Winchester. Pretty sure the guy I had spoke with has never even held a shotgun. Let alone had a clue what I was talking about. He just said to send it in. Can't decide what to do. It honestly seems that that's how the gun is made. The carrier just sits to close to the tube. Although not being able to find much more info on this issue makes me second guess that.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Mtneer1434 said:
Thanks for the info guys. I have taken this thing apart and checked for burrs multiple times. I've also checked the alignment and positioning on just about anything and everything there is. It all checks out. I was able to find a single review online complaining about the same issue. That fella stated that the same mechanical parts were used in both the 3.5 inch model and the 3.0 inch model. The only thing that was different was the chamber. This caused major problems getting a 3.5" shell in and out of the tube via the bottom of the gun. That made me realize that I hadn't even tried a 3.5" shell. Sure enough, a 3.5" shell will barely even make the turn to get in the tube. 3" catches occasionally. 2.75" has no issues. I called Winchester. Pretty sure the guy I had spoke with has never even held a shotgun. Let alone had a clue what I was talking about. He just said to send it in. Can't decide what to do. It honestly seems that that's how the gun is made. The carrier just sits to close to the tube. Although not being able to find much more info on this issue makes me second guess that.
Dude, tens of thousands of these guns are functioning perfectly in the field and have been for many years. The sx3 and SX4 feed the same. Those techs talk to lots of folks every day. You're may have an issue, but it won't fix itself. If you are convinced there is a problem, send it in.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The Winchester manuals for the super x line do not show the "push lifter up and depress magazine shell catch to unload out the bottom" as a method of operation for their guns. Just because you can do it, does not mean the gun was designed with this tactic in mind.
You're wasting your time talking to winchester about this. Cycle the action to unload as the manual states, or deal with the occasional shell hanging between the bottom of the lifter and the magazine. I do a bottom unload occasionally when I'm mixing shot sizes, but I know enough to know that that's not the "design method" for unloading my gun.

If you're really going to let the issue bug you, polish the bottom of the lifter. It will self polish over time if you feed it enough ammo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tornadochaser said:
The Winchester manuals for the super x line do not show the "push lifter up and depress magazine shell catch to unload out the bottom" as a method of operation for their guns. Just because you can do it, does not mean the gun was designed with this tactic in mind.
You're wasting your time talking to winchester about this. Cycle the action to unload as the manual states, or deal with the occasional shell hanging between the bottom of the lifter and the magazine. I do a bottom unload occasionally when I'm mixing shot sizes, but I know enough to know that that's not the "design method" for unloading my gun.

If you're really going to let the issue bug you, polish the bottom of the lifter. It will self polish over time if you feed it enough ammo.
I went ahead and sent her in. Should have it back right around the beginning of season. I understand that the gun might not be truly designed with that tactic in mind but I feel like most guns are and should therefore function as so. I also can hardly get a 3.5" in the gun without getting it stuck. Whether it's meant to manually eject the shell that way is one thing but complications loading it is another. Z51 made a good point. If this was common there would be more info on it. I spoke to a different tech who seemed to care about the issue a little more. He said that he has not seen or heard of this issue with the SX4 and also wanted to get it in the shop. Went ahead and sent me a shipping label and said that it would be covered under warranty. Hopefully they can figure something out. It's not the most expensive gun in the world but it is a lot of money to pay for shells to not want to load and unload properly. We'll see what they say in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Mtneer1434 said:
but it is a lot of money to pay for shells to not want to load and unload properly. We'll see what they say in a couple weeks.
Manually pushing the lifter and hitting the shell catch in the magazine to release a shell out the bottom is not and never has been the proper way to unload any of the Super X semi auto shotguns.

I'd love for you to post a video showing the issue you're having loading the 3.5" though. I'm struggling to recreate a loading problem in my head based on my experiences shooting thousands of 3.5" through the SX2 and SX3; but it's possible they changed some geometry on the lifter of the SX4 and its causing an issue.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I guess it's possible that your lifter has too much arc in it or is a bit long. If so Winchester should find it. In addition,
some shells have slightly larger rim diameters than others.

However, I think it is unrealistic to expect your gun to function in a way it was not designed to just because you "feel" it should. Winchester has no responsibility to make the gun operate in a manner it was not designed or represented to operate.

My .02 cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tornadochaser said:
Mtneer1434 said:
but it is a lot of money to pay for shells to not want to load and unload properly. We'll see what they say in a couple weeks.
Manually pushing the lifter and hitting the shell catch in the magazine to release a shell out the bottom is not and never has been the proper way to unload any of the Super X semi auto shotguns.

I'd love for you to post a video showing the issue you're having loading the 3.5" though. I'm struggling to recreate a loading problem in my head based on my experiences shooting thousands of 3.5" through the SX2 and SX3; but it's possible they changed some geometry on the lifter of the SX4 and its causing an issue.
This is one of the primary reasons I decided to send it back. I understand that it may not be technically designed to eject shells in this matter. If Winchester tells me that it's not an issue then I'll be happy. But it's 100% designed to accept 3.5"s. It would hardly go. I had to apply a fair amount of downward force to the carrier and shell to get it to go. I would say that it was loading the 3.5"s at 30% capability. Maybe less. Ejecting it in this manner was even worse. I wish I had taken a video clip before sending it off. It made it to the Winchester service shop today so we'll know soon enough.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The loading issue is a problem I agree. I tried to release 3 1/2" shells from my SX2 yesterday. With both Remington and Federal shells I had to drag the shell out with my fingernail. As you probably know the SX2 was designed for
3 1/2" shells. I have owned the gun since 1999 and it functions perfectly.
3" shells released just fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I spoke to a service rep on the phone this morning. Looking at the service report he was able to tell me that minor repairs were made on the gun but he wasn't exactly sure what they were. He said it was likely an alignment issue or a burr that was removed. Either way he said a problem was definitely identified. When they don't find anything wrong they say so on the ticket. I should have it back in hand shortly and will post another update if more info is included or if I can tell exactly what work was done.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
z51 said:
The loading issue is a problem I agree. I tried to release 3 1/2" shells from my SX2 yesterday. With both Remington and Federal shells I had to drag the shell out with my fingernail. As you probably know the SX2 was designed for
are you talking about pushing the lifter up and manually releasing shells from the magazine?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
tornadochaser said:
z51 said:
are you talking about pushing the lifter up and manually releasing shells from the magazine?
Yes, removing from the mag by depressing the shell stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: I spoke to a service rep on the phone this morning. Looking at the service report he was able to tell me that minor repairs were made on the gun but he wasn't exactly sure what they were. He said it was likely an alignment issue or a burr that was removed. Either way he said a problem was definitely identified. When they don't find anything wrong they say so on the ticket. I should have it back in hand shortly and will post another update if more info is included or if I can tell exactly what work was done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this must be a known issue with this shotgun. I sent mine to the factory as I couldn’t load 3.5 shells in the magazine. Got it back 3 months later and still can put a 3.5 inch shell in the magazine. Shot gun is brand new. Guess back to the factory again. At this point I will ask for a replacement or my money back from cabelas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts