Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I overheard a duck hunting buddy say that he heard Xpert steel shot was composed of alot of different shot sizes. He said that this was because at the end of the day, all the spilled shot on the floor at the factory was reused and put into Xperts. I thought this statement was false, but one of the other guys we hunted with used Xpert, and he decided to open one up to see if the rumor was true. It turns out, there were a couple of different shot sizes in the one he opened up. Anyone else ever heard of this??

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've never heard of it before, but I wouldn't be surprised. Think about how many shells Winchester puts out on any given day. It's entirely possible. And think about Winchesters point of view......"who in their right mind is gonna sit down and start picking through our shells to compare the size of these little steel balls?" lol

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I believe it. I don't think they shoot very good. I bought a couple boxes of 4's and couldnt hit squat. Switched to my kent fast steel and was hitting everything...

Or it could just be me... :yes:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Im not joking, this morning I had a big mallard fly right into my decoys, probably like 20 yards away, I had a xpert 4 chambered and missed, my second shot was a kent and it folded flat...

again, it could just be me, but I will NEVER buy xpert again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

We used them --#3 shot--burned so dirty,we had to scrub the barrell like never before.I wouldn't reccommend them to anyone for that reason alone!

TOM

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have been shooting the experts because they are cheaper and I am sick of missing birds. This weekend I am trying the kent faststeel and from what I hear should actually hit something.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Some of my buddies have also claimed that about the different shot sizes in teh experts. I even heard one story of someone finding a little square pellet it one. I find that hard to believe though. I've never used the experts and don't plan to because ever since I shot Kent Fasteels a few years ago I haven't shot another brand since. THey pattern awesome with my 870 and I don't have very many cripples either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes yes yes! I opened one earlier today and yes the largest was about twice the size of the smallest! But the real kicker is all of them were mishapen. My patterns were excellent with this stuff
@ 35 yards however and I am having no problems with the kills. I suspect that when the season goes into the mid to late dec. I will switch over to the fed. # 2s that my gun seems to cherish :yes:
PS this is the 8 X 11 1/2 inch paper at 35 yards :laughing:

·
Registered
60 Posts
IMO, The only real difference b/w the discount shells and the premiums is CONSISTENCY (patterning, no misfires, etc). It is why almost all serious clay target shooters ONLY shoot premium ammo when the money and glory is on the line. To me, it is no different with the serious duck hunters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I SHOT EXPERT STEEL OPENING WEEKEND AND I HATED IT I COULDNT HIT ANYTHING. THEY WERE FLYEN RIGHT OVER OUR BOAT THEN I GRABBED A COUPLE OF BOXES OF KENT FAST STEEL THEY NEVER MISFIRED, THE PATTERN WAS EXCELLENT IT ENDED UP LIMITING OUT THE SECOND DAYOF THE SEASON IVE BEEN WITH THEM EVER SINCE. i AM SHOOTIN THE STOGER MODEL 2000 3 INCH THAY HAVE NEVER JAMMED GOIN FROM A 3 INCH TO A 2 3/4 INCH 2 SHOT TO 4 WUT EVER SHELL I HAD IN IT SHOT GREAT. OH YA HAS THE PHEASENT HUNTING BEEN GOOD ANYWHERE THIS YEAR.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The shell I cut open contained all the same size......I use these shells most of the time....pretty good for the money....gonna try some kent next box I buy....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have heard tha same thing..that it is composed of RECLAIMED shot used in blasting steel in various industrial processes. I can see how the shot size may not be uniform in Xperts as opposed to shot that is exclusively made for its purpose--to kill birds. Not to mention the varying sizes of shot...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.