Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me what you guys would do or have done in the past in this situation. Today was the last day of goose season in my area and I had a great field picked out. There were about fivehundred birds in there for the past two nights and I woke up to foutyfive mph winds. Ands since we hunt with all foots ands GHG fullbodys we called it off thinking nothing would stand up.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
If it was close to where the geese were getting up at. They might not have flew far the most probly would have been 3-4 miles, that is my guess. I would have went out you could have taken all of the feet off of the decoys and used them as shell decoys then they might not fall over.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
:withstupid:

Sound to me like you need to get some silos, hawkeye silos and some shells you can stake down in such a situation. Maybe the birds did not fly, but you would not know since you did not go out. Black tent stakes and deke cord could be an option for your bigfoots. Drill a hole in the feet and tap stakes through them.

Get out of the house and hunt. Then have a few beers and talk about how good or bad it was. :salude: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
45 mph winds mean one thing ; PASS SHOOT !!! Those kinds of winds are taylor-made for pass shooting . Give that a try next time you get gale force winds and leave your dekes at home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't mean to be rude...but, that has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! :thumbsdown: Last day of the season....wind.....500 geese in the field for two days....hum..let's not go because it's too windy! :withstupid: Heck, you could have just taken some old metal hangers and cut the bottom section out and bent them into a U-shape and staked out a dozen foots and probably knocked the crap out of them. Actually, you probably wouldn't have had to do a thing to the foot's. Next time it's too windy and you have a field with 500 birds in it..please call me! I don't care if it's blowing a hundred MPH...I'll find a way to kill'em!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't mean to be rude...but, that has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! Last day of the season....wind.....500 geese in the field for two days....hum..let's not go because it's too windy! Heck, you could have just taken some old metal hangers and cut the bottom section out and bent them into a U-shape and staked out a dozen foots and probably knocked the crap out of them. Actually, you probably wouldn't have had to do a thing to the foot's. Next time it's too windy and you have a field with 500 birds in it..please call me! I don't care if it's blowing a hundred MPH...I'll find a way to kill'em!
:withstupid: :yes: :yes: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ditto

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck sticking hangers in ground that has been frozen for about a month or so. But I figured I would get some jelous hunters to reply sorry you don't have any fields with birds in them maybe next year we can get together and I'll put you on some birds..............thanks for the tips guys.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
You could take a 2x4 and drive a long heavy gauge nail into the end of it part way. Cut the nail off and grind a point where the head was and make a cut out step to use your foot to poke holes in the frozen ground. Hunt with a buddy and have him poke the holes while you tap in the stakes or hangers.

Anything thing is possible with some thought and engineering skills.

Sorry if we hurt your feelings, but we tend to be honest. Try thickening up that skin. Lighten up and have a beer. :salude: We're all just tyring to help, in our own way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Grounder, didn't mean to make you mad, just having fun. :umm: I use a poker kinda like Archeryrob said, it works. I'll buy this round. :salude: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know what you guys are talking about I'm tring to ask you guys if you want to get together and maybe shoot a few birds next year a ya I'm sure we'll end up throwing a few back. Get back to me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.