Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I'm gonna try to put the bow and stearn lights in my 16 foot v-bottom. I'm thinking I should try to run the wires through the rail, but I dont know how to go about doing it. Mainly how to pull the wires through it. I'm also wondering about how to wire a 4 switch plate, and where I should put it. It will have a floor built in so I can probobly run the depth finder and livewell wires under it. I have never wired anything in my life so if you can explain well I think I'll have much better luck. All help appreciated.

Thanks Fellas

· Registered
1,621 Posts
dukkilr6 ill try to help you out best i can. for the bow and stearn lights you dont need real heavy wire i think 16 gauge would be fine. you run a black for ground and a red for power. i would say just run the wires for the lights through the floor too. the switch panel should be close to wear your operating the boat. and close to the battery is good too. if you have a bench in the back where you operate the boat. i would put it on the front of the bench . where you can reach the switches best while driving. if you cant feed the wires through the bench to the switch box. i would just make a box on the back of the bench to mount the switch box too. you need to get power from the battery to each switch and ground from the battery to each switch. then you run the power and ground to your lights. you wanna make sure you have an inline fuse on each switch. hope this helps. somebody might have a better way.

· Registered
445 Posts
keep the wires out of the water !!!!! not under the floor !!! if you can't get a snake to run the wires in the gunwale, then run them through some small diameter pvc pipe bolted under the rail. mount the switch on the back corner....on top. where the transom meets the gunwale...keep that switch out of the water (not in the splash well, if you have one). get some heat shrink sleeves for your splices too. have the guy at the marine store draw you a wiring diagram for you connections to the switch.

· Registered
10 Posts
Hmmm, water and electricity......

Run them thru your gunwale. You should remove screws, bolts to make it an easier pull and not risk cutting the wire.

Get a 15' length of # 14 electrical wire and strip the insulation. Fish that thru the gunwale.

You make have to use some lube. Always a good idea when pulling wire. :mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.