Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,886 Posts
From mt experience, the squeel call that a hen woodie makes is only done to locate other ducks and when their under stress, such as, when you jump them in a slough. It seems from my experience using them, they don't turn a duck in our direction, but seem to flair them instead. I think the good ole' Mallard call works the best. Like Hood, I've never seen a call that mimics the drake. If there was one out there, (which there probably is) I think it would work better than the hen call. Just my opinion though, Wings cupped, Pete

· Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I got one of those Buck Gardner 6in1 whistles. I could not figure out how to use it for anything any good. Since it fits on my lanyard I used it to get the dogs attention for commands. It seems its a better dog whistle than a duck whistle.

Rob

· Registered
57 Posts
I have a Lohman that makes both sounds. Woodies really don't respond to calls. I think they are one track minded little buggers. I have had success when they were on the water using the squeal, though it could have been just good luck.

· Registered
1 Posts
You guys will probably laugh. I've pulled woodies with a dog squeaky toy. Works great for that relaxed hen woodie squeak. The "thweep" whistle sound is harder to mimic correctly. Woodies are all over the slough I am hunting, and just a couple shots on the dog toy help them find the dekes. Goofy but fun. Now all I need is a "suzie" dog toy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.