Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always read acrylic this and that. Other than sound volume, anyone else here like the sounds coming out of wood more over acrylic?

·
Registered
47 Posts
no... easier to clean and easier to keep in tune

·
Registered
47 Posts
Na... just did a spell over there. Im back in WA now. Ft Lewis

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Being most wood calls are more mellow and softer in volume they can be a definate asset, especially when the ducks are call shy or pressured. Often a softer call will be better--basically too many guys are screaming at the flocks of ducks... and the ducks get used to it and get call shy-especially that frequency - so often doing the opposite of what everybody else is doing will pay off handsomely at times... :yes: And IMHO in closed in hunting situations (timber or woods) the single reed acrilics are not necessary, where as the open sloughs or plains it takes more volume to reach far out flocks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I hunt with a duck call of each. Far away I use acrylic and I tune it done with wood as they approach. Mix things up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Definately a wood fan. The acrylic crase is driven alot by contests...nothing against contests. As far as volume goes, acrylic may be louder, but day in and out the birds you have the most luck working are birds that want to be where you are...and calling is just the icing on the cake.....so in my opinion you can't be the sound or the looks of wood....just like you cant beat a good looking gunstock....as far care and maintenance...acrylic is easier, but I take care of my stuff and my calls are included....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Avid waterfowlers are easy to spot. They're the ones with the strings of calls around their neck. The assortment of calls does more than provide a place for them to hang their leg-band collection. To begin with, it's a good idea to have more than one call just to have a backup. Moisture and weather conditions can have an adverse effect on calls and sometimes you need a spare. But a better reason to have multiple calls is that each call usually is best in a certain situation, and has a certain quality and tone. It's rare to find one call that does it all. Some calls are super loud; others are raspy, reedy and do a perfect job of making soft calls when birds get close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts