Duck Hunting Forum banner
5301 - 5320 of 5334 Posts

·
Administrator
42,122 Posts
IMO it takes a gaggle of ducks working a spread to be as thrilling as one hidden ground bird being found out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20,596 Posts
HNTFSH said:
IMO it takes a gaggle of ducks working a spread to be as thrilling as one hidden ground bird being found out. :thumbsup:
Nothing quite like watching a big-wheeled pointing dog do its thing or the "Polish mine detector" anticipation of walking in to flush game in front of solid points. So it was heartbreaking to see our quail give way to bigger plows and more cows, and I couldn't bear to start another such dog, only to watch it work its tail off for scant reward, as was the case in the above dog's later years. Not that "settling" for close-in work on woodcock is a "bad" thing, as it at least afforded the same sort anticipation, albeit of a twitering, rather than roaring, flush. Just not enough for me to justify another pointing dog.

And upland birds over flushing dogs doesn't hold remotely the same appeal for me. Truth is, we've seldom bothered with woodcock in recent years, despite their being my absolute favorite table bird.

For me, working waterfowl is a far and away better substitute.

·
Administrator
42,122 Posts
Rick Hall said:
HNTFSH said:
Nothing quite like watching a big-wheeled pointing dog do its thing or the "Polish mine detector" anticipation of walking in to flush game in front of solid points. So it was heartbreaking to see our quail give way to bigger plows and more cows, and I couldn't bear to start another such dog, only to watch it work its tail off for scant reward, as was the case in the above dog's later years. Not that "settling" for close-in work on woodcock is a "bad" thing, as it at least afforded the same sort anticipation, albeit of a twitering, rather than roaring, flush. Just not enough for me to justify another pointing dog.

And upland birds over flushing dogs doesn't hold remotely the same appeal for me. Truth is, we've seldom bothered with woodcock in recent years, despite their being my absolute favorite table bird.

For me, working waterfowl is a far and away better substitute.
Understand that completely. Current dog may be my last retriever/flushing dog as upland is far too thin for the time and money and waterfowling seems on a downhill slide for the last many years. Bird preserves are even getting thin and while I only enjoyed those for training or dog treats, hardly a reason to buy and raise a pup for.

I may post a pic of some GSD picking up a dove or duck someday.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Since I'm sure Rick is busy I'm gonna try to fill in. Father (Moose and son (Brick) with their first goose

·
Registered
20,596 Posts
Major hurricanes are really no excuse for missing a Monday dog pic post but I suspect he appreciates you having his back.
Truth be told, I've just been too lazy to try embedding pics on the new software. This storm was far enough east to miss us.

5301 - 5320 of 5334 Posts