Duck Hunting Forum banner
5461 - 5480 of 5488 Posts

·
Registered
20,875 Posts
Was looking through some photos on my camera and this one seemed share -worthy...
That it is.

And look the mallard!!! They're a vanishing bird here on our southern edge of their range. My blind shot but 37 mallards this past 2021-2022 season - just a hair under 10X fewer than during the 2011-2012.season.

Can't afford to let one beat the call, guns or dog now:
Water Lake Plant Body of water Working animal

Water Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

As noted earlier, my in-hunt photo files for last season are super thin, with the above being very nearly the sum total of my own perhaps share-worthy efforts. Brought to you courtesy of a hunt with a couple brothers who are close friends and work mates in gator egg picking and fishing seasons - and I know couldn't give a flip if photography might cost them a shooting op.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
That it is.

And look the mallard!!! They're a vanishing bird here on our southern edge of their range. My blind shot but 37 mallards this past 2021-2022 season - just a hair under 10X fewer than during the 2011-2012.season.

Can't afford to let one beat the call, guns or dog now:
View attachment 477066

View attachment 477067

As noted earlier, my in-hunt photo files for last season are super thin, with the above being very nearly the sum total of my own perhaps share-worthy efforts. Brought to you courtesy of a hunt with a couple brothers who are close friends and work mates in gator egg picking and fishing seasons - and I know couldn't give a flip if photography might cost them a shooting op.
Numbers have been reducing for us up north also. Would guess them to make up 80-90% of our take in years past, over the last 5 years I'd guess less than 50%. Last year we were saved by ringnecks.
Sky Dog Working animal Dog breed Cloud

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
43,319 Posts
They make up about 95% of mid-Ohio hunting. Heck - over a dozen years of Plond hunting on a reclaimed wetland park surrounded by AG land, other than mallards I shot a couple greenwings, maybe one bluewing, two blacks and took two birds from one group of Gadwalls. Don't know why the small traffic in real flyway's but know for sure our numbers have sucked the last 5-6 years. I thought it was all environmental but maybe not? Maybe I missed it the last many years but haven't seen a bright, sunny day in Winter with mile high birds headed south in forever.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Hunting was so tough this past regular season that I didn't think it a good look to be snapping photos on my guests' nickel. But I'll look through what few I did take to see if anything's share-worthy...
Thought maybe something had happened to him, glad to see I was wrong.
Between him and the coyote l always looked forward to pictures of them swamp donkeys.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Numbers have been reducing for us up north also. Would guess them to make up 80-90% of our take in years past, over the last 5 years I'd guess less than 50%. Last year we were saved by ringnecks. View attachment 477068

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Thank God for widgeon and teal, they stayed and played the entire season, salted in with a few mallards.
I think this decline of mallards is everywhere. Used to be a spot I’d hunt back 15 years or so that was covered with green heads. Didn’t matter what time I showed up, I could always bag a few.
Those days seem to be long gone now. If I’m lucky I’ll kill a handful a season these days.
Beak Toy Fawn Grass Bird

·
Registered
20,875 Posts
That's about to be us for summer's remainder: short, mostly walking baseball, sessions at our Community Center's field. Summer heat is here in earnest, crawfish ponds have been drained, water's about to come off first crop rice and swimming water has gators. Just not much a dog can safely do until second crop or September teal water goes back on the fields.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
That's about to be us for summer's remainder: short, mostly walking baseball, sessions at our Community Center's field. Summer heat is here in earnest, crawfish ponds have been drained, water's about to come off first crop rice and swimming water has gators. Just not much a dog can safely do until second crop or September teal water goes back on the fields.
Been lucky up till now, temps were in the mid 50’s early morning and made for some cool sessions. Now it’s first light or sleep in.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
We’ve had a cool summer so far. 46 degrees at 5:30 am. Haven’t worked Annie much because arthritis in her hips is slowing her down. She’s been going to a doggy chiropractor and the results have been great. Good enough that she’ll probably get to retrieve a wood duck or two this fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
Thank God for widgeon and teal, they stayed and played the entire season, salted in with a few mallards.
I think this decline of mallards is everywhere. Used to be a spot I’d hunt back 15 years or so that was covered with green heads. Didn’t matter what time I showed up, I could always bag a few.
Those days seem to be long gone now. If I’m lucky I’ll kill a handful a season these days.
We still seem to have pretty solid mallard numbers here and I've not noticed much change in them the past few years. However, what I've really noted is the decline in the number of scaups. 10+ years ago, I'd shoot 3 or 4 limits of scaups every year. We'd get big numbers of them through here for about 2-3 weeks consistently every year for as long as I can remember. I haven't shot a scaup in years and the few times recently I thought we had some working us over and ended up killing one or two, they always ended up being ringers.

Water Vertebrate Grass Wood Reptile

5461 - 5480 of 5488 Posts