Duck Hunting Forum banner
5481 - 5500 of 5501 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting, splain the deer thing please.
We bush stalk a lot.Climb up a ridge til you hit a game trail then follow it.Dog is trained to work within 20.Watch his nose he'll start winding when their close and if we cut fresh ground scent he'll start tracking.If he see's them he'll point..BOOM!!..if anything runs after being shot I just camp up a while til they bled out and then he takes me to them.Evening shooting he's a saviour.Deer comes out into clearings/paddocks and creeks
Dog Plant Carnivore Wood Fawn

right on dark.BOOM!!..they quite often make it back into the bush if I havn't been able to flatten them on the spot.I wait then he takes me to them.My eyes ain't what they use to be so he's definetly my eyes, ears(too many gun shots) and nose.We get around $100 lb for the antler when it's in velvet and this year he paid off the $500.00 I paid for him as a pup.Watch this attached clip it will explain.https://youtu.be/uETBMBDUeiU

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's a Opossum.Tree climbers.There classified as a pest in our country.Get blamed for killing tress.Govt reckons there's approx 70 million here.They get poisoned, trapped, shot and run over on the roads a lot.Some carry TB.They can spread TB to cattle and deer which threatens our meat exports.I've killed and plucked fur off thousands and never caught TB.We get $100.00-$130.00 per kg for the fur.They say its one of the most hollow fibre furs in the world so it traps a lot of warmth.They mix it with Merino sheep wool and make clothing, it sells for very high prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
(y)Very cool! I didn't realize you were from NZ. I knew for certain I'd never seen a critter like that one before. Looks like you really put the hurt on em. Also, the deer and elk in your other photos looked to be different so I was wondering what part of the world you were from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes the only deer our country countries have in common are whitetail & wapiti(elk)Those ones in my photos are red deer.Unlike the USA our deer are classified as pests and get shot all year round without a tag.We have a couple of others here Sambar which is big like a wapiti/elk and a little one called Fallow which is fantastic eating.My boy was guiding in Wyoming so I'm aware of your different critters.Yes Ohio Mike your right they do make good pets if you get em young.We had them when we were kids.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ole story, " Lock your missus and your dog in the boot of your car for 4 hours and when you go back and unlock it whose always happy to see you"...definitely the best friend you'll ever have in life I just wish they could live a bit longer.It's always sooo sad when they die.

5481 - 5500 of 5501 Posts