Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you watch "Worlds most dangerous Job" on Discovery channel. Its about crab fishermen in the Bearing Sea. It is some good tv (unlike Bull riding) I watched about 6 hours of this on mon. I know, exciting day. Anyways, just wondering if any of you have seen this. or if any of you have done this. Crazy stuff. These guys work 3 maybe for hours a day and can make as much as 12K. Thats not a lot of mula when you think about it. On average there is around 190 men go out each year. and 5 of don't come back. NO thank you. you can keep your 12grrrr. and come see me at the drive through. Also some of the boats only average around 6k a man.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Hey ACE,
I belive you are refering to "Deadliest Catch", and in the commercials they describe it as the dangerously fast way to make money.

As for me, I would do it, but my mother would croak :hammering:

So im gunna have to stick to an "on-land job" for now :smile:

-Stouff

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I love that show. Makes me hungry everytime I watch it. ACE...they work more than 3 or 4 hours a day. From what I gathered, they work damn near around the clock. They are only out there (at sea) a few days. I am guessing that is what you meant. Anyways...screw that job. But I would like to thank them for bringing me those tasty crab legs. Speaking of shows on Discovery....Mythbusters...that is where it's at. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Snafu518 said:
.......... Speaking of shows on Discovery....Mythbusters...that is where it's at. :thumbsup:
Ok, if that is your thing..........

But everyone knows Monster Garage is where it is at! :thumbsup: (for discovery, anyways)

-Stouff

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used to watch the show until they switched fleets on me and then I quit. the last one I saw was when all those guys died.
American Chopper takes the bacon though.
and 1 I don't think is too hot is American Hot Rod ( i think that's what it's called.) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Snafu518 said:
American Hot Rod licks the root. (It sucks)
:withstupid:
What?

How could you say that. They show some of the sweetest vintage cars/trucks, it gets me all giddy inside just thinkin' bout it! :umm:

-Stouf

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yep... now OVERHAULIN' on the other hand. :yes:

I have a cousin that was on a Coast Guard SAR (Search and Rescue) detail up in Alaska... let's just say 'em crabbers aren't neccessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer either. :eek:

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Quackcephus said:
Yep... now OVERHAULIN' on the other hand. :yes:

I have a cousin that was on a Coast Guard SAR (Search and Rescue) detail up in Alaska... let's just say 'em crabbers aren't neccessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer either. :eek:
:hammering:

Now that is for sure!!

-Stouff

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Maybe we should retitle this topic-the most dangerous person behind the wheeel at DHC :toofunny:

Can you say "hijacked topic" suuuuure.......... :laughing:

As for the original topic, the $ does not seem right, as I know a guy that cleared 60k years ago in a couple of months. They go 3 days straight around the clock--or until the hold of the ship is full, the only down time is when heading back to off laod or back out. Very grueling work. I wonder what their work comp rate would be? I bet they are on "contract" so none is paid... The highest rate I know of is 247%, meaning for every $100 paid in wages, the employer has to pay the ins carrier $247. That is for an under water pile driver tech. As for life expectancy, in the construction trades it is 18 yrs on average before you are permentaly disabled. :eek:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yeah Ace them crabbers may sleep 3 hours a day if they are lucky. As for the money, I was giving it some honest thought, but the greenhorns may only make 3k for the trip. Don't get me wrong, 3k for 3 or 4 days of work is unbelievable pay, but not for that job.
I love watching that show though. Come home from work every Tuesday and flip on Discovery and catch the last half hour or so.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AlaskaRedneK said:
Hey ACE,
I belive you are refering to "Deadliest Catch",-Stouff
:thumbsup: thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Snafu518 said:
I love that show. Makes me hungry everytime I watch it. ACE...they work more than 3 or 4 hours a day. From what I gathered, they work damn near around the clock. They are only out there (at sea) a few days. I am guessing that is what you meant. Anyways...screw that job. But I would like to thank them for bringing me those tasty crab legs. Speaking of shows on Discovery....Mythbusters...that is where it's at. :thumbsup:
That is what i meant. I'm going to have to have you guys proof read my posts from now on before i submit them. :oops:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.