Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not you, my dog. :getdown: Will a spray down suffice? What do you fellas do when your bitches get stinky?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that soap, even "dog" soap wasnt good for the coat. My friend has only actually bathed his 3 year old twice her whole life. This dog is outdoors or in the garage--mine is 3 feet away stinkin the joint up. Is there shampoo that protects the oily coat?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
hvac yeah there sure is. Mine actually has dry skin. You should be able to ask someone in a good pet store if you got one around you if not ask your vet. But as far as just dog shampoo in general I have never heard that but yes there are dogs that need special shampoo all the time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You all are going to love this... my wife picked up a bottle of imitation georgio dog spray at the vet for our small pack. I mean with three of 'em in the house it can get,may I just say, fragrant. Yes, the K-9 body spray works and doesn't seem to irritate them . Still,it just seems wrong. Maybe 'cause they smell better than me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hilarious aaron! SC--will try :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just hose my pup off. If it gets too bad the wife takes care of it, lucky me. The last outing this year she rolled around on a dead and decaying duck. The only way to make her bareable to be around for the day was to send her into the swamp to get rid of the dead duck smell. I believe my wife uses a baby shampoo, it works and does not irritate the dogs skin and actually reduces some of the shed and sure beats 20.00 for a bottle of oatmeal shampoo at the pet store.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I use the baby shampoo on my dogs and it has not bothered them or dried out their skin as it has baby oil in it. Now as for the babies that they squeezed the oil out of I can't say what happened to them but the oil works on the dogs coat and makes it shine.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're helping cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
The flea and tick treatments is what dries their skin out. I was mine with some simple dog shampoo from wallys world and be done with it once a month. More if he play with my buddy dog as they both chew on each others neck and that old dog slobber smells bad when it gets wet again.

My dog is an inside dog and if I did not give him a bath he would ruin the carpet more than usual and the wife would really complain about the smell of him. I have not found a shampoo he like yet. He hates baths but can't keep him out of the pool, a pond or creek.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
with a nickname like "swamp puppy"...you know my wife won't let my dog anywhere near her house without a bath.

I don't recommend bathing them too often...or right before a hunt. the bath with soap will take out the oils that help protect them from the cold water. (btw..i am talking Labs here..not sure about other breeds) if you bath them and then give them a couple of days they will replentish enough oil in their coats to help protect them.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
'preciate the input fellas. Recently found some "red dog shampoo"--"for those with red and yellow coats." Bunch of marketing malarky if you ask me, but at least he doesnt stink anymore. For now. As elementary as the question seems now, I really was worried about his coat. I swear I'm not a city slicker. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.