Labs1152.38%
Chessies314.29%
GSP14.76%
Other628.57%

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whats your favorite breed or kind of dog.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I think the best breed of Hunting Dog has got to be the coyote. Their inteligent, resourceful, quick to learn, fast, hardy, agile, and have great stamina. Plus they are probablly the most versatile breed of hunting dog in the world as they will and do hunt almost anything from bears down to berries. They are also very eye appealing and easy to keep cause they will eat anything even ducks. Yep they have to be the best breed around.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I kinda regard coyotes as mange, poachers that get about 180 gr. of lead slung at them every deer season, but thats just me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
They are "wiley", though.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
LOL!! good one greg.

i voted LAB. hard to find a better mix of hunting / family dog than a Lab. great with ducks, pheasants, and good around kids. what else do you need?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Swampy, I agree with the lab idea, although I have never owned one the Nova Scotia Duck Tolers are another good familly oriented dog that work really hard to please and are smaller in stature but just as big on drive. The only drawback with the toler is that it like the goldens has a longish coat. This breed is also know as The Little River duck Toler.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am more into the versatile dogs so ---I would choose the Drahthaar or pudelpointer or wirehair. If hunting warmer climates I would go GSP or viszala

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Greg - i hear alot about the Tolers..never seen one though so i really don't have an opinion, but if they hunt, are loving, and good with people.... then they get a :thumbsup: from me.

is it really true that the ducks come in when they see the dog running up and down the shoreline??

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Yes it is but the same can be done with other breeds such as labs, GSP's, chessies, etc... but what sets the Tolers apart is their fox like appearance, reddish coat with a white tipped tail. As was explained to me the waving / wagging tail is what lures the brids in close as it gets their curiosity up and brings on their demise the same way a fox will lure ducks to within their reach. Pretty neat trick. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
wow..that's crazy. maybe i should paint the end of my dog's tail white and let him run around. though people might mistake him for a skunk and shoot him. he certainly smells the part. lol.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Some people just love the ugliest things like pot bellied pigs, pugs,and rats. :toofunny:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.